To "leave yourself time" for something.

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Melikhovo, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Privet vsem!

I was curious if this totally hypothetical sentence could be translated into Russian:

Me: Okay, I'm off to catch the train.
    Mom: Make sure you leave (yourself enough) time to go to the post office beforehand.

Would any of these phrases fit? I'm not even sure if number 3 makes sense but we'll see.

1) "не погоди"
    2) "c начала торопися на почту"
    3) "дай себе время чтобы"

Spasibo.

2. Zerrega Junior Member

Russian
    1) "не погоди"
    2) "c начала торопися на почту"
    3) "дай себе время чтобы"

The first one doesn't make any sense, second one makes little sense but could be understood by Russians though contains BIG mistakes, third one is understandable but Russians never use such sentences - "дай себе время чтобы" They say instead: "подгадай время, чтобы", "выдели время, чтобы"
    The best way (IMHO) to say that:

Не забудь сначала сходить на почту.
    Рассчитай (время) так, чтобы успеть еще и на почту.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Ok thanks a lot. What exactly does "погодить" mean and how may I use it if you don't mind? I was under the impression it meant to take your time or to not do something fast enough?
    Thanks.

4. Zerrega Junior Member

Russian
    "погодить" = to wait
    "погоди" = wait a bit

5. Sobakus Senior Member

It's the most common, albeit colloquial, way to say "wait for me", so you will almost always meet it in its imperative form. What's more important, не with perfective verbs in imperative gives the meaning of "be careful not to do smth". But you cannot accidentally wait for somebody, that's why your phrase looks so strange to any Russian.

Торопись is the correct form since the stress is on the и (unstressed ся is a dialectal feature), сначала is an adverb and therefore written together.

In Russian you can only give some time to someone else but not yourself. It's also usually used with plain infinitive (no conjunction).