to mark, correct exams

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    What words do you use for these activities connected with exams? In what contexts can you use those verbs too ? If possible: what is the root word?

- to check [?] exams (reading them through, checking whether the answers are correct and indicating mistakes)
    - [specific] to mark (the mistakes) [apparently only one part of the checking ('indicating') but generally including the checking - metonymy]
    -to correct mistakes (to un-do) the mistakes

Background:
    - check < chess: checking the king (checkmate) > holding, restraining, based on an authority
    - to give them a mark, I think, so that one notices (remarks ???) the mistakes
    - set them straight (rect-), make them better...

Dutch:
    - corrigeren* (FL)/ nakijken (NL)
    - fouten aangeven, aanstippen [stip = dot], aanduiden [point out]...
    - verbeteren (make better) - but the act of corrigeren in Flemish can in some cases imply both marking and suggesting corrections, even correcting oneself (that might be food for intra-Dutch (?) exchanges)

Notes on the use :

- corrigeren refers to mistakes, generally used in schoolcontexts, I think, though of course a politician or newspaper might correct a quote, or a statement...
    - nakijken is verifying in my view, checking, almost restricted to ticking, and therefore implies a presupposition of perfection, which explains why we often use nakijken with of, 'if, whether' [everything is all right]; I do not think many teachers assume that perfection is the level to be reached by their students though...
    - aangeven, aanstippen, aanduiden can be done with one's fingers, with colour, etc.
    - verbeteren in Dutch can mean both correcting [mistakes] and improving [a tekst], whereas these seem quite different, 'un-connected', in English

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  2. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    Why not the other way around?
    To check the king means to set him in a difficult position, to check what he is able to do.

Anyway, in Russian:
    - to check: проверить (the root is the same as in the word вера: faith, belief; and in the word верный: true, correct; so it means, so to say, to try to bring the object into the canvas of truth and see how it fits);
    - to mark: отметить, пометить, выделить: the first root refers to putting labels (мета is a label, a mark, even if this word is practically unused), the second word means "to ex/from-divide", i.e. to divide in the work what is incorrect from what is correct;
    - to correct: исправить, the root means right (in both senses), just, correct, so the word means "to make it right".

3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    My explanation is based on etymonline.com, but I kept it very summary...

Thanks for the Russian additions, but please provide transcription to be sure (do I read / pro-bera-.../, /ot/po/...-meta/, /...s-prav-.../?).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    To give transcriptions is sometimes difficult (and why do you need them, anyway? the roots are not so numerous so that to lose track of them), but here they are for the roots (please note that nouns like мета or вера do not consist of a single root, even in the nominative case they also have an ending, namely -a):
    - checking: вер -> ver;
    - marking: мет, дел -> met, del;
    - correcting: прав -> prav.
    Here it just happens that in the roots there are only sounds that can be rendered more or less equivocally into the Latin letters…
    As for the prefixes, the mentioned ones were pro-, ot-, po-, and is-. As for the verbal ending, it was -it' for all four, t' being a sound analogous to t, but "soft", and softness is a concept that is very difficult to explain if one does not know how… and I don't. Also I don't know, maybe Dutch has something like that, even if under a different name; but to give an idea, in German, the main difference to the Russian ear between "ch" in "ich" and in "nach" is that the first is "soft", and the second is not.
    Ah, thanks.
    Same in Russian with the root for correcting. It can form a verb for that with other prefixes as well.

5. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew:
    to check - לבדוק livdok, root b/v-d-k and is used much the same as check is used.
    to mark - לסמן lesamen, root s-m-n also used for to (mark) target. another translation means to mark as in grade לדרג ledareg, root d-r-g also used for to rank, rank(ing); לנקד lenaked, root n-k-d is used for 'point' (a point from A to B, i gave you 5 points etc etc).
    to correct - לתקן letaken, root t-k-n also used for to fix.

to test - לבחון livkhon, root b/v-kh-n.

6. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

To check: «Ελέγχω» [e'leŋxo] < Classical v. «ἐλέγχω» ĕlénkʰō --> cross-examine, refute, confute, bring to proof with obscure etymology.
    To mark: «Σημειώνω» [simi'ono] < Classical v. «σημειόω/σημειῶ» sēmeióō (uncontracetd)/ sēmeiô (contracted) --> to note, notice, provide with a seal, mark < Classical neut. noun «σημεῖον» sēmeîŏn (Ionic «σημήϊον» sēmḗïŏn, Doric «σᾱμεῖον» sāmeîŏn) --> sign, mark, signal, signet with obscure etymology.
    To correct (mistakes): «Διορθώνω» [ði.or'θono] < Classical v. «διορθόω/διορθῶ» dĭŏrtʰóō (uncontracetd)/ dĭŏrtʰô (contracted) --> to straighten, make corrections < compound; prefix, preposition, and adverb «διὰ» dīà --> in two, apart, through (PIE *dis-, apart cf Lat. dis-, apart, in two > It./Sp./Fr./Eng. dis-; Fr. de-, dé-, dés-; Por./Rom./Sp/ des-; Proto-Germanic *twiz- > Ger. zir-/zer, Eng. to-, Dt. te-; Alb. ç-, apart) + Classical adj. «ὀρθός» ŏrtʰós --> upright, straight, right, true (PIE *h₃rdʰuo-, upright cf Lat. arduus, lofty, tall > It./Sp. arduo, Fr. ardu, Eng. arduous, Por. árduo).

The generic verb used is «διορθώνω» [ði.or'θono]. In the vernacular, teachers simply «διορθώνουν» [ði.or'θonun] (3rd person pl. present indicative) examination papers.

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Just wondering: does anyone of you see any ambiguity in his/her equivalent of correcting: can 'marking' or some similar verb include 'correcting' (improving)?

Just BTW: how broadly can you use the words you refer to? Can you use any of those in a non-homework/ exam context?

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    In hebrew yes, i actually needed a few minutes to think of which would be best what.

9. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    What I can think of right now (Chinese usually allows a wide range of ways to express the same idea, so I can only list a few):

Chinese:
    What teachers do:
    改卷(子) gǎi juàn(zi)
    批改試卷/批改试卷 pīgǎi shìjuàn
    both meaning 'mark the papers', or literally 'correct the papers'

What students do:
    檢查試卷/检查试卷 jiǎnchá shìjuàn (check the papers)
    In Cantonese, we also say *覆卷 fuk1 gyun2 (also checking), but it is not standard.

10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So there is the same ambiguity between marking and correcting, then. Can you use either of those in non-test/ exam/school contexts?

11. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    Actually, I should correct myself (no pun intended)! Only gǎi juàn(zi) literally means 'correct the papers'; the other one, pīgǎi shìjuàn, only means 'mark'. The latter is not used in non-school contexts (it still works for assignments, dictations, etc.) while the former can mean 'correct' or 'change' in a wide variety of contexts.

'Jiǎnchá' is also used in all sorts of contexts to mean 'check'.

Incidentally, there are other similar phrases:
    覆核試卷 复核试卷
    fùhé shìjuàn - What the markers do (checking the papers) after a student appeals
    查核試卷 查核试卷
    cháhé shìjuàn - What students do (checking the papers) after they request the exam board to see the paper

12. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

Japanese
    In Japanese

(1)答案を採点する(mark the paper) or 答案の採点を行う(do marking of the paper)
    (2)自己採点する(mark one's paper by oneself)

答案: a paper waiting to be marked where questions were already solved(answer+opinion, paper)
    採点: to mark(pick up+point)
    する: to do(often along with other Kanji-compound nouns)
    行う: to perform, to proceed
    自己採点: to mark the paper or something by oneself, not by those suitable for the role like a teacher.(自己 refers to oneself)

(1) can be used in both circumstance where the teacher or students sitting for an exam does. (but mainly used in a case where the teacher does)
    (2) can be only used when the very student does.

13. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
  14. Armas Senior Member

Finnish
    Finnish

korjata sato = to harvest (sato = harvest, yield)
    korjata astiat pöydästä = to clear the dishes from the table
    korjata auto = to repair the car
    korjata kokeita = to correct exams

tarkastaa = to check
    tarkistaa = to check (and correct)