1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to miss each other/one another

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Charlie Parker, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Charlie Parker

Charlie Parker Senior Member

English Canada
    I heard a friend from Gaspésie say that two dogs missed each other after being separated for a while. I think I remember her using the verb ennuyer. Could one say Ils se manquent? Or would you have to add l'un à l'autre? Could you say, Ils s'ennuient d'eux?

2. In the resent tense, yes "ils se manquent" is sufficient, but you could add l'un et l'autre. "Ennuyer" can be understood as part of missing someone/something - because it is boring, life is lackluster, without her/it. Hope that helps!

3. Charlie Parker

English Canada
    Thank you very much. I wonder if this sense of ennuyer is more of a Canadian expression where I live. I could say "I miss her" Elle me manque. I think I could also say Je m'ennuie d'elle which does not mean that I'm bored with her but that I miss her. Does that make sense to you? Have you seen that usage?

4. Gez Senior Member

French (France)
    Dans le français de "la métropole", ça serait plutôt "je me languis d'elle" que "je m'ennuie d'elle"...

5. Yes, it is also used here. Je m'ennuie avec elle and elle m'ennuie are totally different meanings, but je m'ennuie d'elle is definitely used here too to mean "I miss her"!

6. Charlie Parker

English Canada
    Thank you very much. That clears up a confusion I had about ennuyer.

7. Martindehk Junior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese (Cantonese)
    Hi all,
    I know that in French we say "tu me manques" for "I miss you". But how about "we miss each other"? It seems to me that "Nous nous manques l'un et l'autre" ne marche pas du tout.

Et aussi en anglais je peux sans doute répondre mon ami avec "so do I/me too" s'il me dit "I miss you". Mais qu'est-ce que l'on dit en français? "Tu me manques." "Ah oui, toi aussi" me semble tout à fait bizarre.

Merci en avance des réponses.

8. PhilFrEn

PhilFrEn Senior Member

Annecy, France
    français - France
    Hi,

It sounds indeed very strange to my ears to say "toi aussi" while answering "tu me manques!". I would better say the sentence again "tu me manque aussi".

Indeed, "on se manque" or "nous nous manquons" is not possible in this context :).

9. syl2o Senior Member

France
    French and France
    Salut, t'y es presque.
    si quelqu'un que tu aimes te dit:"Tu me manques"
    tu réponds:"Toi aussi,tu me manques". "Toi aussi" ne suffit pas.
    Par contre je ne saurai répondre correctement pour la première.

A+

10. Sel&poivre

Sel&poivre Senior Member

Clermont-Ferrand/Vichy
    France - French
    Je suis d'accord avec Syl2o.

Pour votre première question, on peut dire "nous manquons l'un à l'autre". Qu'en pensez-vous les autres ?

:)

11. syl2o Senior Member

France
    French and France
    Sel&Poivre, j'avoue que j'ai jamais fait attention à ce genre de tournure. Pourquoi pas dire :"Nous avons chacun le temps long pour l'autre".

Salut

12. tuaillon Senior Member

La Rochelle
    france
    oh come on! of coourse the proper way to answer is "toi aussi tu me manques", but who has never answered "toi aussi"!!???

13. Charlie Parker

English Canada
    I'm still not clear on this. According to my dictionary. Ils se manquent l'un à l'autre means "They are missing each other." So wouldn't "We (are) miss(ing) each other" be Nous nous manquons l'un à autre?

14. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Yes. That's logically what it should be.:thumbsup: But it is not something that would come to me naturally.
    I'd prefer to say (don't know if it's a quebecism or not)... On s'ennuie l'un de l'autre.

15. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    That's strange, I'd never say Nous nous manquons l'un à autre! But I see several other ways to say We miss each other:
    - Nous nous manquons l'un l'autre
    - Nous manquons l'un à l'autre (Syl2o's one)
    - Nous nous manquons

I don't see any problem with the latter one.
    In the same way, I don't understand why some people say you can't answer only Toi aussi to someone who said Tu me manques. It's just like answering moi aussi to je t'aime. The answer may seem ambiguous, but common sense makes it clear.

And Syl2o, I'm sorry but Nous avons chacun le temps long pour l'autre is totally meaningless, in my opinion. May it be peculiar to some country or region?

16. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    No quebecism, it's much correct in Parisian French too.

17. Icetrance Senior Member

US English
    Je n'invente pas!

Mais, je suis certain d'avoir entendu: Dès qu'on se quitte, on se manque.

"On s'ennuie l'un de l'autre" is standard French.

18. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    You are right. I didn't notice the l' was missing. And it does sound better without à. :eek:

I agree entirely.

19. ChiMike Senior Member

Chicago USA
    USA, English
    I hate to ask this, but, according to the Académie and to the TLF, this is NOT strictly speaking a reflexive verb.

Manquer à quelqu'un: faire défaut; surtout sur le plan affectif (de nos jours).

Manquer quelqu'un: ne pas le rencontrer quand on en avait l'intention

Thus, why is it not:
    "Nous nous manquons" (We fail to meet - we miss each other)
    "Nous manquons l'un à l'autre. (We miss each other).
    Why is the second "nous": "Nous nous manquons l'un à autre" necessary?

The word "miss" in English poses this same problem, but there is no way to tell except context: "We always miss each other
    (1)when we are parted.
    OR
    (2)at the train station.

So, as usual, I am :confused::confused:
    (Especially since I always just said: "nous nous manquons" for : We miss each other (affectively)).

20. charlie2 Senior Member

So, in the light of On s'ennuie l'un de l'autre, can we say "Nous nous manquons l'un de l'autre"?

21. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    I presume it's because when we say nous nous manquons it's sort of like saying nous manquons à nous. Simply saying nous manquons would be vaguely akin to saying je manque instead of je vous manque -- it's necessary to qualify who is missing who, as I understand it!

That said, I certainly see your point! ;)

22. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Neither did I! I was only referring to à...
    :eek: too!

Not only the second nous is dispensable, but as I said before, it's much better without. Either you double the pronoun, or you use the preposition, but not both.

Nous manquons l'un de l'autre is correct, but doesn't sounds that natural, as we never say je manque de toi but tu me manques (= tu manques à moi), except for poetic purpose maybe.

You can't say nous nous manquons l'un de l'autre, it's wrong. Your mistake is you mixed up the reflexive pronoun of on s'ennuie with the object pronoun of nous nous manquons. The sentence you suggested doubles the object!

23. charlie2 Senior Member

Indeed I have mixed up the two! Thank you very much for your explanations.

24. Charlie Parker

English Canada
    Thank you everyone. That clears it up entirely for me.

25. FilleDuMonde Junior Member

Italiano
    Hi, I was wondering if you can also reply 'moi aussi' as short for 'à moi aussi, tu me manques'.
    I'm trying to prove my boyfriend wrong, haha!

26. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Well, I'm afraid your boyfriend is right...

Since À moi aussi, tu me manques is an answer to Tu me manques, saying Moi aussi instead would mean À moi aussi, je me manques.

You can answer À moi aussi, yet.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  27. FilleDuMonde Junior Member

Italiano

Thanks a lot! He says that all the time and I was making your same point. So are you sure you can't say it even in slang French? Thanks!

28. Lucky19 Senior Member

Brive
    Français de France
    manquer à quelqu'un = COI donc je lui manque donc nous manquons l'un à l'autre.
    manquer quelqu'un = COD donc je le manque donc nous nous manquons l'un l'autre.

Ils se sont battus en duel au pistolet et se sont manqués l'un l'autre.
    A et B étaient à des milliers de kilomètres de distance et ils ont manqué l'un à l'autre (mais on dira plutôt ils se sont manqué).

:warning: Nous nous sommes manqué, sans "s" si l'on veut dire que l'un a manqué à l'autre, avec un "s" quand on parle du duel au pistolet.

Nous manquons l'un de l'autre = Ça voudrait dire qu'il manque une partie de l'autre dans chacun d'eux. Ça peut passer en poésie ou dans une lettre d'amour.

Si j'ai fait une erreur dans mon explication, dites-le moi.

29. Kecha Senior Member

Paris
    French - France
    There's the grammar, and then there's what people actually say.

Although Tilt has the correct grammatical interpretation, I think many people would make the same mistake as your boyfriend and say "moi aussi", simply because it is easier and mirrors "je t'aime - moi aussi".

In fact, I'm fairly sure I must have done it a couple of times...

30. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Moi je pense que la réponse « Moi aussi » va mieux - ou est moins ambigue - si la première personne a dit « Je m'ennuie de toi ».

Mais Tilt semble avoir changé d'idée depuis 2007 (voir post #15).
    « Toi aussi » me semble en effet logique en réponse à « Tu me manques ». ;)

31. Lucky19 Senior Member

Brive
    Français de France
    Pourtant:

Tu parles à moi => Tu me parles.

Tu me parles, à moi aussi.

Mais : toi aussi, tu me manques. Tout dépend de la façon dont on formule la phrase. Tu me manques => A moi aussi, tu (me) manques.

32. mehoul Senior Member

french
    Cest logique mais naturellement je dirais "moi aussi", avec le sens que moi aussi je ressens cela.

33. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Bien d'accord. À mon avis, les deux sont possibles. Pour ceux qui n'auraient pas vérifié, voici ce que Tilt a écrit au post 15 :
    @ mehoul : Je réponds également « moi aussi », parce qu'un(e) Québécois(e) - du moins ceux qui m'entourent - dirait plus spontanément : Je m'ennuie.
    Donc première personne dans les deux cas. :)

34. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Non, je ne crois pas avoir changé d'avis, Nico ! :)
    Je disais déjà qu'à Tu me manques, on répond toi aussi et non moi aussi.

35. Lucky19 Senior Member

Brive
    Français de France
    Tilt,

Vois-tu une différence entre :
    Lui aussi, il me manque.
    et
    A moi aussi, il me manque.

Ou
    Eux aussi, ils me manquent.
    et
    A moi aussi, ils me manquent.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  36. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Tilt, je sais pas... mais moi, si. Sauf que tu déplaces la question. en le mettant à la 3e personne.

Conversation entre deux personnes:
    Je dis à X : Tu me manques
    X me répond : Toi aussi (tu me manques) / À moi aussi, tu (me) manques

Pour moi c'est pareil, et le premier me semble plus spontané.

Par contre :
    Lui aussi, il me manque = Plus d'une personne me manquent/je m'ennuie de plusieurs personnes... y compris lui
    À moi aussi, il me manque = Il manque à plus d'une personne/plusieurs personnes s'ennuient de lui... y compris moi.

37. Lucky19 Senior Member

Brive
    Français de France
    Exact Nicomon !

J'y réfléchissais ce matin au travail car il y avait quelque chose qui me chiffonnait dans les réponses données, la mienne y compris, et j'ai trouvé pourquoi.

Pourquoi y aurait-il une différence quand le sujet est "il/lui aussi" ou "ils/eux aussi" et non quand le sujet est "tu/toi aussi" ?

Si ma copine me répondait : "Toi aussi, tu me manques !" Taquin comme je suis, je ne manquerais pas de lui demander : "Ah bon, et qui d'autre te manque ?"
    Mais si elle me répondait "A moi aussi, tu me manques !", j'aurais la banane pour la journée... ;)

http://www.etudes-litteraires.com/forum/topic27334-a-moi-aussi-tu-me-manqueras-tu-manqueras.html