to mutter between one's teeth

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Day & Night, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Day & Night Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Hello! I would like to know the meaning of the idiom to mutter between one's teeth. Couldn't you give some examples, as well?

2. BellaDancer

BellaDancer Senior Member

It is like "under one's breath."
    It is muttered -- spoken in a quiet and almost garbled way -- without the lips moving -- "between one's teeth" -- in order to be heard and understood by no-one or only by the person closest to the speaker, not by others around them.

3. Day & Night Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Thanks a lot!

4. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Hi, I just want to check with you if "spoke between his teeth" also means he spoke "under one's breath."?

Example
    : "Was it unclear what I meant, when I said "keep her safe"?" Maxwell spoke between his teeth.

"Perfectly clear. Have you advice as to how" William said.

Source: Timepiece, Heather Albano

5. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    No, it isn't. Maxwell is extremely angry - furious. He places his top incisors on his lower incisors and almost spits out the words. He thus speaks between his teeth (also 'through his teeth')

6. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

No, and in fact I'm going to have to disagree with BellaDancer as well. "Between his teeth" is kind of odd. It has a certain similarity to a couple of other expressions:
    "Spoke with clenched teeth" or "spoke from between clenched teeth" which mean "was so angry or irritated that he had to keep his jaw clenched tightly."
    and
    "Kept his tongue between his teeth" (or sometimes "bit down on his tongue"), which means "made a special effort to control what he said."

But "spoke between his teeth" isn't familiar to me. I would guess that it indicates irritation or even anger because of the reference to teeth, and I would also guess that it doesn't have anything to do with the volume at which Maxwell spoke.

(Cross-posted with Paul. How nice that we agree!)

7. redgiant Senior Member

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks PaulQ and JustKate. If I hadn't asked in the first place, I would have taken it to mean "under one's breath". His speaking with apparent anger didn't cross my mind. Perhaps it's because I've seldom touched the tip of my tongue to the teeth when I'm speaking with irritation in Cantonese

8. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

It doesn't have anything to do with the position of the tongue. My apologies if my references to the related expressions involving the tongue misled you. "Clenched teeth" refers to the way many people clench their jaws (that is, clamp their jaws together and hold them together tightly) when they are angry.

Even the variation "tongue between his teeth" that I mentioned is intended to be metaphorical - it has nothing to do with the actual position of the tongue when one is angry. The expression is a bit of hyperbole that means "I kept my tongue between my teeth so that I wouldn't be able to talk" (and thus say something unwise). Try to talk while holding your tongue between your teeth and I think you'll see where the expression comes from.