To nag

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Melikhovo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Privet!

I was a little unsure about this phrase in Russian. Would I use the verb "ныть " in the following contexts?

1. My mom keeps nagging me to clean my room etc...

2. My girlfriend always nags me to come home on time etc...

Spasibo.

2. learnerr Senior Member

Russian
    If you think or want to say that she is wrongly pretending to be harmed, then by all means. But I don't think you mean that. Usage may be like: "а мама всё ноет, чтобы я убрал комнату". Vocabulary of nagging is very vast in Russian; off the top of my head, there is the verb "талдычить", for example ("to keep saying the same things over and over again"). Others would certainly suggest more. Examples of use: "Мама постоянно талдычит, что я должен убирать свою комнату вовремя". "Моя подруга всё время талдычит, чтобы я вовремя возвращался домой".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  3. horace.mik

horace.mik Senior Member

Italy
    Russian and Italian - bilingual
    Relating to your interpretation of his case, I'd say that "талдычить" is the most appropriate. Another could be "настаивать", but always depending on the context.

4. toutey Senior Member

American English
    I've heard пилить / запилить and долбать / задолбать used to talk about nagging (specifically, when a wife is nagging her husband to do something, to belittle him, and so on). I think these more generally mean that you're pestering someone, though (надоедать / надоесть). Here's an article I found on Google:

Что делать, если "запилила" жена?
    http://www.pravda.ru/health/prophylaxis/psychotherapy/04-12-2003/39893-conflict-0/

This paragraph from the article seems like a good example in particular:

"Моя жена постоянно меня пилит. Она никогда не видит то хорошее, что я стараюсь делать для нее и для нашей семьи, но зато всегда замечает каждый мой огрех. И может целый вечер мне об этом говорить. Как правило, это заканчивается тем, что я ухожу с друзьями пить пиво или езжу по ночной Москве, только бы не слушать ее занудство. Последнее время мне все меньше и меньше хочется возвращаться домой. Но я очень не хочу, чтобы моя семья разрушилась. Помогите мне."

Also, when someone is nagging you or just bothering you in some way to get you to do something, you can say to them: "Чего ты ко мне пристал / привязался?" (this is rather rude; basically, "What the hell are you bothering me for?")

Hope this helps.

5. willem81 Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Other possible translationes besides "талдычить" are пилить, нудеть. Пилить means "to saw" in first place, but it can be used also in the meaning "to nag".
    Мама всё время меня пилит, чтобы я убрал комнату.
    Моя подруга всё время нудит, чтобы я вовремя возвращался домой.