1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to plead WITH somebody

Discussion in 'English Only' started by WillyAbs, Feb 1, 2013.

1. WillyAbs Junior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Hello, everybody

I've just heard over the mp3:
    "The driver pleaded with the police officer to give him a break and not issue him a ticket for speeding."
    Why not "...pleaded the police officer..."?

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    That's just happens to be the way that we use the verb, Willy.

In the above context "...pleaded the police officer..." :cross: (because the driver does the pleading)

In another context: " 'It's so very hot in here, Sergeant! Please may I remove my uniform?', pleaded the officer faintly. " :tick: (here, the officer pleads)

3. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    "Plead" is not transitive, and the officer is not an object (if that's what you were thinking). "Pleaded with" = "begged".

4. WillyAbs Junior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Excuse me, I hanen't got it.
    Should I say:
    "The driver asked with the police officer not to issue him a ticket."
    Or:
    "The driver asked the police officer not to issue him a ticket."?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    Hi Willy,
    to plead with someone (to do something) = to ask someone for something in an urgent / emotional way.

6. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Just to add, Willy, much to your horror I suppose, that different verbs are used differently in English. Some require prepositions, others do not. And you must learn how each and every one of them works. There is no easier way than reading books, speaking and asking questions. :)

7. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Willy, you said 'I've just heard over the mp3'. What does this mean? Does it mean that we're looking at song lyrics, or something else? Please tell us where you found the clip in post#1.

8. WillyAbs Junior Member

Russia
    Russian
    Beryl, this meant that I have a cellar telephone which plays records as mp3-tracks. And I was listenig to an audio lessons on English idioms. The phrase was an example of "to give (someone) a break" idiom.