to reprimand/to admonish

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by nicko, Mar 31, 2006.

1. nicko Senior Member

Paris
    France, French, English, Spanish
    Hello. I am translating a text about the war in Iraq. More precisely, it deals with the tortures inflicted to Iraqi prisoners in the Abu Ghraib prison. The text explains what happened to the GIs who had been accused of torturing people: "The seven reservists involved have been charged with conspiracy, six additional soldiers up the chain of command have been severely reprimanded and one was admonished". Can someone explain to me the difference between "to reprimand" and "to admonish"? The dictionary says that both expressions mean "réprimander". Do you know if there is a different translation for both words in French? Thanks.

2. 80s Queen Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    Canada - English & French, German
    According to the Cambridge dictionary:

reprimand: to express to someone your strong official disapproval of them

admonish: to tell someone that they have done something wrong

In French:
    reprimand: réprimander
    admonish: admonester or: to admonish somebody for doing something: reprocher à qn de faire qc

3. williamtmiller Senior Member

Paris
    usa--english
    admonish:
    To reprove gently but earnestly.
    To counsel (another) against something to be avoided; caution.
    To remind of something forgotten or disregarded, as an obligation or a responsibility.

reprimand:
    To reprove severely, especially in a formal or official way

clearly, there is a big difference. as to what the differenece is in French...maybe you could go with reprimander and reprocher. I am not sure if the difference is strong enough but there is a difference.

4. SylviaF Senior Member

La Rochelle, France
    English/French
    Hi Nicko,
    It's a question of degree - a reprimand is a slightly more severe sanction; in addition, 'admonish' implies an oral 'dressing down' - a reprimand can be oral or written. You could perhaps distinguish by using "recevoir un blâme" for one and "réprimander" for the other, and adding an adjective for the more severe of the two ... I don't think there's any clear rule on usage on this, although it should be indicated somewhere in US Army Regulations ... Are there any military experts online who could help ?

5. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    have been severely reprimanded me semble impliquer, vu le contexte, que les six soldats ont reçu un blâme et que l'on s'est contenté de faire la morale au dernier.