1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

To reveal (itself) & to discover

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Jan 5, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    What words do you use for to reveal (itself)/ revelation and discover/y ?

Dutch :
    - to reveal : [zich] openbaren [reflex. mostly, not very common]/ revelation: openbaring (etymology : open + bare, naked), both religious and non-religious
    - to discover: ontdekken / discovery: ontdekking (as in 'the - of America by Columbus')

2. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    In Hebrew there's the root ג.ל.ה GLH in two different structures.
    - to reveal: להתגלות /lehitgalót/ revelation: התגלות /hitgalút
    - to discover: לגלות /legalót/ discovery: גילוי /gilúy/

3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Is it really? What is the le/hit referring to then? Can you use them transitively and in- (with or without a direct object)? And; can you use them with abstract objects (e.g. religious truth), or in all kinds of contexts?

4. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:

To reveal: «Αποκαλύπτω» [apoka'lipto] which is a Classical Greek verb, «ἀποκαλύπτω» ăpŏka'luptō --> to unmask, reveal, become known; compound, prefix and preposition «ἀπὸ» ă'pŏ --> from, away from (PIE base *h₂epo, cognate with Eng. of, off) + verb «καλύπτω» kăluptō --> to conceal, cover (PIE base *ḱel-, to cover).
    To reveal (myself): «Αποκαλύπτομαι» [apoka'liptome] which is «αποκαλύπτω» in mediopassive voice.
    Revelation: «Αποκάλυψη» [apo'kalipsi] (fem.) which is a Classical third-declension feminine noun, «ἀποκάλυψις» ăpŏ'kalupsis. The last book of the Christian canon of scripture is called «Ἀποκάλυψις» (Revelation, or, Apocalypse).
    To discover: «Ανακαλύπτω» [anaka'lipto] which is again a Classical verb, «ἀνακαλύπτω» ănăka'luptō --> to remove a covering, uncover; compound, prefix and preposition «ἀνὰ» ă'nă --> on, up, above, throughout (PIE base *h₂en, cognate with Eng. on) + verb «καλύπτω».
    Discovery: «Ανακάλυψη» [ana'kalipsi] (fem.) a Classical third-declension feminine noun, «ἀνακάλυψις» ănă'kalupsis. The Discovery of America is in Greek, «η ανακάλυψη της Αμερικής» [i ana'kalipsi tis ameri'cis].
    Thus, they all share a common root.

5. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    It's part of the infinitive form of the התפעל /hitpa'el/ structure (the structure that is mostly used for reflexive verbs). Generally, infinitives always start with /l/. Yes, they can be used for abstract objects. האמת התגלתה /ha'emét hitgaltá/ means "The truth has revealed itself"

6. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Also in hebrew:
    לחשוף lakhsof (or lakhasof) root חשפ kh-s-f
    only for reveal(itself/another/object), or more precise uncover.

הראה root ראה r-alef-h, her'a. Used in to show, but also as in reveal.

7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Coudl you give an example showing very clearly what the meaning is? Thanks !

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Meaning of which of them?

9. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Turkish:

to reveal (itself) : ortaya çıkmak (to appear as open) , açığa vurmak (to hit to the open), gün yüzüne çıkmak (to appear on the day's face)

to discover: keşif etmek (keşif probably from Arabic), bulmak (to find)
    discovery: keşif, buluş, bulgu

10. Pretty_Gaella

Pretty_Gaella Junior Member

Naga City, Bicol, Philippines
    Filipino, English & Spanish
    Hello Everyone :)

In Filipino:
    to reveal-ibunyag, from the rootword bunyag to disclose/to expose
    to discover-tumuklas, from the rootword tuklas to meanng to find out
    discovery- pagkatuklas, diskubre
    revelation-paghahayag, rebelasyon

11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, everyone...

@ Arielipi: the kh-s-f verb please.

@ Ancalimon: quite interesting, thanks (do any of these verbs have some spiritual meaning, or is it very general?)

@ PG: do you use the verb intransitively? What subject can you use with ibunyag?

12. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    הוא חשף את מי שהוא באמת
    he revealed who he really is[=his true colors]
    הוא חשף את גופו
    he revealed his body[=either got naked or as an act before fist fight to show hes not afraid, or to protect someone from behind him]

13. ahmedcowon Senior Member

Arabic:

to reveal: (Past: كشف /kashafa/) -
    (Present: يكشف /yakshef/) - (revelation: كشف /kashf/)

to discover:
    (Past: اكتشف /ektashafa/) - (Present: يكتشف /yaktashef/) - (discovery: اكتشاف /ekteshaaf/)

they have the same root (كشف k-sh-f)

Revelation (from God): وحي /waĥyun/

14. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Interesting to read that Hebrew and Arabic use the same root, and that it refers to both showing and revealing. Revealing/ openbaren seem to imply that something has remained hidden for a long time.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Interesting to read that Hebrew and Arabic use the same root, and that it refers to both showing and revealing. Revealing/ openbaren seem to imply that something has remained hidden for a long time.

But then I guess that is the reason why Arabic uses a separate word for religious revelation. Does that have a separate root, underlying meaning?

16. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew too uses a different for religious - g-l-h which tfighter used is used in religious revelation(hitgalut, giluy shchina)
    hebrew also uses kh-s-f for the same use arabic does, also khasifa(which probably is equal to ekteshaaf) is used for scoop.

EDIT: a few sloppy mistyping.

17. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Do you have any idea of the meaning of that separate root, the underlying/ etymological (...) meaning? Or is it just seeing?

I once heard that in Old Slavic to reveal is something like bleeding out (!)...

18. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Do you have any idea of the meaning of that separate root, the underlying/ etymological (...) meaning? Or is it just seeing?

I once heard that in Old Slavic to reveal is something like bleeding out (!)...

19. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    I have to ask what do you mean by underlying/ etymological (...) meaning?

Or is it just seeing? - seeing what, and who is?

well, the kh-s-f implies either forced reveal or a startling reveal(which of course are opposite to each other) , and we do use it in:
    חשף את חולשתו khasaf et khulshato - showed/revealed his weakness.
    So you can say it can be connected to bleeding, also we say פצע חשוף petza khasuf - open injury.

also, is it only me or is thomask posting twice his latest posts?

20. Pretty_Gaella

Pretty_Gaella Junior Member

Naga City, Bicol, Philippines
    Filipino, English & Spanish
    Magandang araw sainyong lahat!
    Goodmorning everyone!
    Hi ThomasK,
    No, ibunyag is a transitive verb.
    And I'm not so sure about your second question.
    But I would say that you can use noun or adjective :)

21. mataripis Senior Member

another term for revelation in Tagalog is "Kapahayagan" with root word "hayag" with form hayagan(reveal).While in Discovery is the same but in the form of "pagtuklas".The Tagalog word "ibunyag" is used in situation when a mystery/anomaly will be revealed or discovered.1.) Ibunyag ang hiwaga= reveal the mystery. 2.) Mabubunyag na ang kamalian.(anomalies will be revealed).Samples for "Kapahayagan" and "Pagkatuklas". 1.) Ihayag mo ang ibig/gusto mong sabihin. (reveal now what you want to say) 2.) Ano ba ang kapahayagan ng panaginip mo? (What do you think are the revelations of your dream?) 3.) Makabubuting higit kung matuklasan na ang iba pang gasolina/gatong sa mga sasakyan at makinarya bukod pa sa langis! ( It is better if another type of fuel be discovered for machineries and Transportation engines aside from oil.)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  22. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Also disbosom in Engish !

23. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

Bosnian
    to reveal: otkriti, objelodaniti (to bring to the light of day), odati (to reveal a secret)
    to discover: otkriti, pronaći
    discovery: otkriće, pronalazak
    revelation: otkriće/otkrivanje, Otkrovenje (religious), Objava (religious)

otkriti = od + kriti; otkrivati = imperfective aspect of otkriti
    od = dis-, un-, off
    kriti, sakriti = hide, pokriti = cover
    objelodaniti = o(b) + bjelo + dan + iti; bijel = white, dan = day
    odati = od + dati; dati = give
    pronaći (imperfective pronalaziti) = pro + naći; naći/nalaziti = find

24. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Great information, thanks. But could you comment on the etymology of the religious words?

25. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

As for otkrovenje, I'm not sure, but to me it sounds like a Church Slavonic word. The normal form derived from otkrivati is otkrivanje. Apparently, Croatian considers otkrovenje a Serbism and has a third word for the religious meaning which I've never seen until now: otkrivenje. The dictionary doesn't say anything about its origin.

I'm pretty sure that od + kriti (-krivati is for the imperfective aspect) is behind all three forms.

As for objava, objaviti is literally something like "to make sth. public; to proclaim; to declare". The adjective "public" (as in public affair) is javni/javna/javno, the adverb "publicly" is javno; objaviti and javni/a/o are cognates. The prefix ob- can have several meanings depending on the verb and is not that easy to explain. One of the meanings is "around".

26. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, Denis, it does give some idea.
    Interesting:
    - on the one hand there is exposing of what was meant to be hidden, it seems to me (1-2), which seems to me the ‘real’ meaning of ‘reveal’ [taking away the veil]
    - on the other hand there is the aspect of making clear (3-4) – but of course it does involve taking away some mystery, but that was not considered a mystery as such
    - lastly there is the meaning of inventing (5), I would not use anything like revealing…