1. heliojorge Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    "Associative networks like to riff, but they also have a fondness for the old standards".

De media hora navegando concluyo que significa algo así como "improvisar". La frase más en esta línea que he encontrado en Google es.

"Derrida moans about how difficult it is to say anything coherent in a few moments in front of a camera; he complains about having to riff philosophically at the director's request".

Any cues?

heliojorge

2. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Sí, estás en lo correcto. To riff, he oído más con la música. Un riff es un pedazo de música que está improvizado. A guitar riff, por ejemplo. Aquí lo entiendo como improvizar. Supongo que se puede riff en el habla, también, aunque me suena un poco raro. Es "hip talk" :) .

3. cubaMania Senior Member

It seems to appear both with and without the implication of improvisation. Here are a couple of definitions from English dictionaries. If you take definition 2 from American Heritage, it might mean "to make clever or inventive remarks" while in your context "at the director's request" adds the implication of improvisation, i.e. he has to produce these on demand. It may be that the definitions of riff and to riff are undergoing changes as I can see some inconsistencies between the American and the Cambridge definitions included below. I think you might be safe with (to make) "clever remarks" and add improvised or repeated to the definition only if called for by the context.

From Cambridge Dictionary
    From American Heritage Dictionary:
    I hope that helps more than confuses.

4. esance

esance Senior Member

Hi,

Jacinta con todo el cariño "improvisar" con "S"