To skip a block class

Discussion in 'English Only' started by aisha93, Jan 14, 2013.

1. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Arabic/Persian(larestani)
    Hi there,

I can't seem to figure out the meaning of this phrase, here it is:

( If you keep skipping A block class, you will get into hot water with your teacher. )

What is a block class? and why is the letter "A" in capital here? is it referring to the Grade A?

Thanks,

2. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Please provide the source of you quotation. What is the context? You may quote additional sentences (up to 4 in total) if that helps to explain the context.

Andygc, moderator

3. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Arabic/Persian(larestani)
  4. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    aisha93. We do not accept bare links. Please edit your post. Please read name your source.

Andygc, moderator

5. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Posting as a member

There is insufficient information available to answer your question. That sentence has no context to explain what A block class could mean. All we can tell is that the sentence was written to explain the meaning of "into hot water", and in doing so caused confusion to an Arabic speaker, and puzzlement to a BE speaker. :)

6. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    I know this is guesswork (which is not allowed by moderators in the absence of sufficient context?), but I think A is capitalised because it is adjectivally describing the particular 'block' of classes which is being missed. Strictly speaking, I think the sentence should read "skipping an A Block class..." or "skipping A Block classes...".

7. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    I agree. I was going to suggest it might be better written as 'A-block class'.