to sleep like a (???)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by dx-chan, Aug 18, 2007.

1. dx-chan

dx-chan Junior Member

Jakarta
    Indonesia, Chinese
    Hola,

What is the colloquial way in Spanish to say someone who sleeps so sound, so tight and is very difficult to wake up?

For example, in my native language, we say "He sleeps like a dead man" or "He sleeps like a pig" or sometimes "He sleeps like a cow"

Thanks

2. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    "... like a pig."???

Interesting.

In English, the equivalent might be "... like a baby", or "... like a log", or " ... like a top", or even "... like the dead". I am looking forward to seeing the Spanish idioms for this.

3. AmenofisIV

AmenofisIV Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    Dormir como un tronco - which is literally to sleep like a log.
    También:
    Dormir como un lirón.

4. sarm

sarm Senior Member

Zaragoza, ciudad del viento.
    España/Español
    "dormir como un lirón" is the most usual sentence in Spanish to say that.

5. dx-chan

dx-chan Junior Member

Jakarta
    Indonesia, Chinese
    Jajaja ... sí, al menos eso se dice también aunque no muy a menudo porque el cerdo se suele utilizar para referirse a algo o alguien que es muy perezoso o sucio y en este caso, tan perezoso para levantarse.

Gracias AmenofisIV por tu respuesta.

6. toolmanUF Junior Member

Washington, DC
    St. Petersburg, Florida, USA (English)
    I second this, when I was studying in Spain I heard this expression used.

Another expression which I heard much more often, but will not post in its enirety, is "he durmido de ___" and fill in the rest with a common Spanish saying. I know that this is slang and not considered polite, but I heard it a lot in informal Spanish.

Also, I thought that I'd mention that in English I have heard people say "I slept like a rock."

7. toolmanUF Junior Member

Washington, DC
    St. Petersburg, Florida, USA (English)
    LOL, I have never heard any of the last three of those. Perhaps this expression varies a lot depending on the region/ country/ dialect?

I feel like in Florida at least, "sleep like a rock" is the most common expression.

8. JanetF Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England - English (British English)
    In British English, to sleep like a log is without doubt the most frequently encountered expression.

9. pollofrito Senior Member

Mexico City
    Mexico - Español
    You might remember that the phrase "to sleep like a log" is part of a Beatles' song:

A Hard Day's Night
    (Lennon/McCartney)

It's been a hard day's night
    And I've been working like a dog
    It's been a hard day's night
    I should be sleeping like a log
    But when I get home to you
    I find the things that you do
    Will make me feel alright.

10. JanetF Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England - English (British English)
    Rhyming log and dog - Lennon and McCartney were the greatest!!! Incidentally, Eva María has just said in another thread that she reckons I will sleep like a baby tonight, so there's another possibility in English.

I know the original thread poster was looking for Spanish equivalents, but still ...!

11. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    Sleep like a baby is indeed said, but is hardly appropriate since the little beggars rouse you from your pit with their wild screams at three or four o'clock in the morning!
    Btw, pigs may be a very popular and jolly animal in China but any saying including the word pig in English is offensive, except possibly for "If pigs had wings they might fly", and "to buy a pig in a poke".

12. Cata Marca Senior Member

United States
    English/Spanish - USA/Argentina
    I've heard:

"Dormir como oso" used in Argentina. It translates to "Sleep like a bear".

13. abeltio Senior Member

Spanish, Argentina
    In Argentina we perceive a subtle difference between: dormir como un bebé and dormir como un tronco...

- bebé: sleeping peacefully
    - tronco: deeply asleep

We also use:
    - marmota: (same as bear): referring to the hybernation: a deep slumber.

14. AmenofisIV

AmenofisIV Senior Member

Spain Spanish
    También cabe la posibilidad de :
    To be fast asleep / To be sound asleep.
    y en español, otra:
    " Dormir a pierna suelta "

15. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Verdad? Yo siempre oigo (bueno no siempre, pero bastante) a "to sleep like a log." In fact, that's what I'd use myself.

16. MSanchezC Senior Member

In Mexico we say "dormir como un bebé" (sleep like a baby), also "dormir como tronco" (sleep like a log) when nothing awakes you :D