To start a fight between two people and then walk away

Discussion in 'English Only' started by farhad_persona, Jun 21, 2013.

1. farhad_persona

farhad_persona Senior Member

Farsi
    What do you use to refer to act of distancing yourself from a fight between two people?
    For instance, let's say you start a fight between two people and you cunningly walk away and distance yourself. What is that act of distancing away from the fight called?
    In Farsi we use an idiom that goes like this:

He started a fight between the two of them and he cunningly took his feet out of it.

I know that it probably does not make any sense to you. I just wanted to clarify a little bit.

Thanks in advance

2. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    It does make sense, you have explained it very well. All I can think of at the moment, for an English equivalent, is "... he cunningly left them to it". This means he left the two to get on with their fight while ensuring he was not involved.

3. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    I don't believe we have a similar idiom. But an some English phrases that could work are:

and then, he cunningly bowed out
    and then, he cunningly stepped out of the fray
    and then, he cunningly made an exit
    and then, he cunningly withdrew

4. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    How about 'He sneaked away'?

5. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    There's a way of describing the action: "Let's you and him fight". Let's usually introduces an action the speaker is part of, but in this case the "you and him" indicates that the other two are going to be incited to fight.

6. farhad_persona

Farsi
    Thanks. Do you recall these examples being used in specific books or movies or articles?

7. Embonpoint Senior Member

Boston
    English--American
    I don't know any specific examples. These are just expressions from my head which I think would work well for what you want to express.

8. farhad_persona

Farsi
    Thanks, but I don't think this would work for me.