1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

To take it for granted

Discussion in 'English Only' started by volver, Jun 11, 2007.

1. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    Hello,

It is a bit rude what I am going to say but I need to know if take it for granted fits in this context.

A: Hey ! give me some secs ! but A means sex
    B: Don't take this for granted !

Could you please tell me if B can say that?

Thank you

VOLVER

2. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

What A says makes no sense to me, so the appropriateness of what B says in response is difficult for me to judge. "some secs" is not something I would expect in English at all, so it doesn't work as a play on words for me. "a couple of secs", "a sec", "a few secs" are all phrases I've heard for "a moment/minute". "some" doesn't work in that context, in my opinion.

3. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    I agree with JamesM. The whole thing doesn't work at all in English. Sorry...

4. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    What I meant is if A says I want to have one night stand with you. Can B says don't take things for granted ! (implying that he won't have one night stand with A). Does it make sense?

Thank you

VOLVER

5. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    I think we all understood what A and B meant, volver :)

Still, it isn't very good English. Plus, I think B could only take it for granted if he had received such services before.

6. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    My version of this conversation:

A--Can I take you home tonight?
    B--I don't think so/Dream on.

7. volver Senior Member

french belgium
    Thank you for your replies.

Could you please tell me hoy to use take it for granted?

Thank you

VOLVER

8. nichec

nichec Senior Member

--What's wrong again?
    --Are you going to sit there and watch TV the whole night again?
    --What's the problem?
    --You are taking everything for granted. You are not the only one who works during the day, and I'm always the one who has to cook and clean up......I quit:eek:
    --.............(standing up slowly from the sofa, walking towards the kitchen):D

9. nichec

nichec Senior Member

I copy this from dictionary.com (I hope this helps:))

take for granted,

a.to accept without question or objection; assume: Your loyalty to the cause is taken for granted.

b.to use, accept, or treat in a careless or indifferent manner: A marriage can be headed for trouble if either spouse begins to take the other for granted.

10. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    To take someone or something for granted is 1.to expect someone or something to be available without thanks or recognition or 2. to value someone or something too lightly.

Sex can take only a few secs - for men, at least. If that is what A means, then, yes, B can say "Don't take this for granted." (2.)

11. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    A. "I want to spend the night with you."

B. "Well, just because you want to, doesn't mean that I do. Don't take things for granted until you hear what I decide to do."

I have the biggest urge to tell you what I think of this couple, but that's not what we're here for, I suppose.

AngelEyes

12. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

'

I agree. "Take it for granted" is not the phrase I'd use here if it were a first-time occurrence.

"Don't count your chickens before they're hatched" would work, or "Don't count on it" or "It's not (or it ain't) a done deal yet!" B might say, "Someone's feeling overconfident tonight."

More sarcastic phrases that might be more current in AE would be:

"And this involves me... how?"
    "Thank you for sharing."
    "TMI" (too much information)
    "Eeeewww!"
    "Now, THERE"s an image I didn't need in my head!"
    (burst of laughter followed by) "Oh, I'm sorry. You were serious."

I still don't understand what you were trying to get at with "secs" vs. "sex."