to tell about , in modern greek

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by Σικελία για πάντα, Oct 18, 2013.

1. What verb do I use for "tell" as in "to tell about something"..?

Here's the context: I have to send my greek teacher a text, in which I say that I'm happy that she is in my city, and that I'd like to see her so I can tell her about how I spent my summer. I wrote:

" Γεια σας καθηγήτρια! Έχω λάβει τα mail σας: είμαι τόσο χαρούμενη που είστε στο Παλέρμο! Εγώ είμαι καλά... κι εγώ θέλω να σας δω να σας (tell you about my summer holiday στην Ελλάδα ). - Moreover, how do I translate "when can we see eachother?" ? - περιμενω την απαντηση σας. "

Thank you!

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    You can say: για να σας πω για το πώς πέρασα τις καλοκαιρινές μου διακοπές στην Ελλάδα.

Πότε μπορούμε να συναντηθούμε;
    or πότε μπορώ να σας δω; (when can we meet each other? or when can I see you?)

PS. Instead of "Γεια σας καθηγήτρια", you could adress her with her first or last name.

3. Tassos

Tassos Senior Member

Attenta Sicilia per Sempre :)
    In italiano, dire Buongiorno/Ciao Professore/Professoressa e perfettamente naturale, ma in greco sembra strano.
    Come ti ha indicato Perseas si puo usare il cognome ("Γεια σας Κυριά/ε Γεωργίου") o il nome ("Γεια σας Κυριά/ε Κώστα/Μαρία"), ma non il mestiere, per "aprire" una lettera.

4. Capisco! Grazie mille per queste utilissime informazioni! ;)

5. Timothy1987 Junior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    English - Australia
    Did you seriously write "τα mail"? Shameful, at least use the proper Greek word.

6. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    "Mail" or "Μέιλ" has gained ground the last years. It is something you can hear (or write) almost always on colloquial level. "Ηλεκτρονική αλληλογραφία" is used mostly in formal situations (when it is used!). Other Greek terms are "ηλεκτρονικά μηνύματα", "μηνύματα του ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου".

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  7. Live2Learn Junior Member

English - USA
    Timothy, who decides what is 'proper'? If a term is used and understood, it does the job. That makes it at least effective. I suppose you prefer to say 'night clothes' instead of 'pyjamas' and 'hair soap' instead of 'shampoo'. Neither of those words was originally English, but both were borrowed into English and are accepted.

8. Timothy1987 Junior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    English - Australia
    If you can't tell, my issue is with the constant use of English words, still in English script, in Greek. It comes across as sloppy, lazy, and disrespectful.

9. Live2Learn Junior Member

English - USA
    No, I'm afraid I couldn't tell what you meant by 'the proper Greek word'. Apparently we're in agreement, though: μέιλ is just fine as a word.