To the moon and back

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Cath.S., Apr 16, 2006.

1. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Hello forer@s,

who could tell me the origin and the exact meaning of the expressiion
    I love you to the moon and back?

We are discussing it in the English-French forum.

Mercy buckets! ;) :D
  2. maxiogee Banned

I don't know of an origin, but I would be surprised if it meant anything more than "a very big distance" - a whole lot!
  3. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Thanks, Tony. :)

I thought that it might mean I love you so that I am ready to go as far as the Moon and back...
  4. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    It has been around far longer than even I may have been used in H.G. Wells's novel The first men in the moon.
  5. rsweet

rsweet Senior Member

English, North America
    There's also an expression that involves giving the moon to someone: "I'd give you the moon" or "he promised her the moon." This expression is used not only in love, but also in business or other contexts.
  6. Chaska Ñawi

Chaska Ñawi modus borealis

an old Ontario farmhouse
    Canadian English
    It's close to what I used to tell our children at bedtime: I love you all the way to the stars and back again.
  7. xanana

xanana Senior Member

Kuala Lumpur
    Malaisie (English)
    There is also the Frank Sinatra song:
  8. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Small correction: Bart Howard wrote it, not Sinatra. I think Tony Bennett recorded it first.
  9. Amityville

Amityville Senior Member

English UK
    I love you about 2x385000 km, which is quite a lot but still finite. Depends on where you are in the space-time continuum though...
    Hope it helps :D
  10. maxiogee Banned

Before it depends on where you are in the space-time continuum, it depends on which moon you are referring to.;)
  11. jdnn Junior Member

Lake Forest, IL
    USA and English
    Since, I am the one that originally asked the question and my friend posted it in this forum, I would be the best to answer it. When I was younger, like 3-6 my grandma used to tell me that she loved me to the moon and back. Which for me, it meant that she loved me a whole lot. I realize that it is a short distance now, but for her time it meant a great distance and thusly a great amount. All other references are purely congecture annd since my gramms is no longer here with me, I guess only someone from her time period would know the exact phrase and where it came from...thx for all your efforts

12. Speaking of heavenly bodies, I recall a song by Tom Jones.

''Till the moon deserts the sky, till the all the seas run dry, till then I’ll worship you
    Till the tropic sun turns cold, till this young world grows old
    My darling, I’ll adore you.''

A somewhat optimistic view of the staying power of love, but I can apply it to a special someone in my life (if only in dreams). ;)

13. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
    When I was a kid I would show my mom how much I loved her by spreading my arms as far apart as I could and I would tell her, "I love you this much" (I now use this to show how large the fish was that got away).

My mother would always say that she loved me to the "moon and back" or to the "stars and back". This was her way of saying that the span between her hands was not enough to express how much she loved me.
  14. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Thank you people! :)
    I love being proved wrong - once in a blue moon. ;)