1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

to the nth power

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Mark Dobson, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Mark Dobson

Mark Dobson Senior Member

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    Hi!

Think this must be my first time in this forum… it’s related to an Italian translation I’m doing, but I won’t bore you with that for long; suffice it to say that the phrase I’m trying to translate would literally be:

[car x:] a concentrate of energy raised to the maximum power.

I reckon that sounds pretty lame, and the expression ‘to the nth power’ came into my head as an alternative. I know that technically, the n just means a variable, but I’ve an idea that it’s used as informal shorthand for, if not maximum, at least a rather high power.

What do you reckon?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. JuanEscritor

JuanEscritor Senior Member

Minnesota
    English - AE
    I haven't looked up any technical math usage on this, but I will say that I would not interpret to the nth power as meaning anything other than 'to an unknown power'.

JE

3. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.

My thoughts exactly.

4. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    I think you need to give more context about this. I think I could imagine a context where "to the nth power" (informally and incorrectly as you say) could be interpreted as "hugely" - but what is the context of the piece? The use of the term "maximum" would suggest you need something meaning "the largest possible" (as opposed to "a huge amount"). The other words seem to suggest a fairly scientific context.

I think I've heard "nth degree" (as opposed to "nth power") used where there is no confusion with real scientific meaning - as in "she was annoying to the nth degree".

5. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

I have heard nth degree used in just this way.

6. Fern_

Fern_ Senior Member

English - British
    if it's talking about a car, then maybe it's 'with its power raised to the maximum' that's implied rather than a mathematical 'raising to a power'. As Timpeac suggests, more context would be helpful ;)

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    My late grandmother, who knew nothing of exponents, used this expression frequently.

8. Mark Dobson

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    I reckon you’ll have all the context you really need if I tell you it’s Italian marketing guff :D from a car catalogue, but here’s what I have so far:

The XXX, direct from the XXX Championship: a concentrate of energy to the maximum power. Emotion, performance and technological research are the values that took it to the track at the side of the greatest XXX drivers. The same values ensure that it now dominates everyday roads, ready to offer performance and safety to those looking for an unadulterated sports spirit.

I’d put good money on their “maximum” being mere hyperbole. I could hedge my bets and put “highest” instead, I suppose.
    I’d probably use this except for the fact that I’ve got “power” in Italian and I think I need to keep that concept. Thanks.

9. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    I always think of God or Alcoholics Anonymous when I hear talk of highest power.

10. Mark Dobson

Emilia–Romagna, Italy
    English (England)
    Nuts. :( You might have something there, although it’s usually “higher”, isn’t it?

11. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Stoke on Trent
    England and English
    It is, but that doesn't stop me thinking it .. ;)