To think outside the box

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Jul 16, 2013.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    The meaning of this cliché to end all clichés is to think creatively, unimpeded by orthodox or conventional constraints.
    It originated in the USA in the late 1960s/early 1970s & has become one of the most hackneyed of all expressions. It was first used in the business world, where 'thinking outside the box' has become so common as to be meaningless. It has replaced an earlier expression 'blue sky thinking', which dates to 1945. See for a full explanation:-
    I observe that tureng provides us with several synonyms, one of which is 'at gözlüğünü çıkarmak'. The others like :-'geniş bir perspektiften bakmak' seem like mere paraphrases. Is there a commonly used but native Turkish idiom?
  2. Reverence Senior Member

"Geniş düşünmek" or "olaya geniş bakmak" can be used. "Geniş" is no adverb by itself, but still.

That "at gözlüğü" thing is mostly used in a negative context, forming idioms that connote frustration and disappointment of someone not thinking outside the box.

- Çıkar artık şu at gözlüğünü! Aynı paraya Antep'e gidersin, iki katı mal alırsın, benzin parası da içinde! (Get rid of the winkers, already! For the same price, you can go to Antep and buy twice as much, gas fee included!)

- Tutturmuşsun bir üç forvet, hâlâ aynı kanaldan devam. At gözlüğüyle bakıyorsun. (Still you insist in going with that three strikers shtick of yours. You're looking through with winkers on.)
  3. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Can you explain what 'the strikers shtick of yours' means? How does 'devam' (continuation) fit into the sentence? Does it go with tutmak? I usually associate devam with etmek.
    'Blinkers' is the usually word in the UK & 'horsey' folk distinguish between blinkers & winkers. Blinkers, made of leather, can be either a one eyed blinker (for either of the near or the off side) or a complete set of blinkers covering both eyes. Winkers are a sheepskin device which attaches to the cheek straps of the bridle once again to help the horse focus its vision to the front, but winkers allows more side vision than a blinker. Thanks so much for the examples & the translations; they are very helpful indeed.
    Does shtick here mean 'with that goofy act of using three strikers'?
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  4. Reverence Senior Member

Yes, I meant that, at some point, the guy in charge of the football team came up with the idea of having three strikers on the field, no matter how impractical it is, and is still sticking to his decision without minding the apparently unfavorable consequences. If he were unaware of the inconveniences his tactic caused but refused to go back on his decision out of pride, stubbornness or whatever, that'd be "tükürdüğünü yalamamak" (not licking back his spit), but as he's completely blind to it all, he's simply looking through winkers.

"Hâlâ aynı kanaldan devam" is actually "hâlâ aynı kanaldan devam ediyorsun" (you keep talking through the same channel/you're still doing the same thing), but the last word can safely be dropped just as I did. In fact, it should be dropped; otherwise it wouldn't sound natural, because everybody drops it, so we're pretty much used to hearing it without "ediyorsun".

Good to know about blinkers. Blinkers, blinders, winkers...we Turks just go with "at gözlüğü" in any case. As long as it blinds them on the sides and forces them to look straight ahead, all is well. Mostly, the winker variety is used over here. Not covering the eyes, just partially obstructing the sides like a curtain.

As always, I'm glad to be of help, if any.
  5. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    You always provide not only help but extensive comment for which I am ever grateful. Your examples are instructive & illuminating: I now know what Turkish horses wear! You did on another occasion mention the large part that metaphors from football play in colloquial Turkish, like 'frikik vermek'. I know that the example in this instance is literal but my new thread will be about the use of football metaphors in Turkish. Thanks as ever.
  6. Reverence Senior Member

I can almost hear the jokes about "ofsayta düşmek" (to be caught offside) and "duran toplara iyi vurmak" (to be a good freekicker). I daresay, football jokes and metaphors in Turkish are more in number than the people who know how the offside rule works.

Just realized I missed a "not" in the second sentence of my previous post. It should start with, "If he were not unaware..." Gotta stop posting while at work. God knows how many atrocities I committed dumping my nonsense here while trying to take care of paperwork in the office. Men are not meant to multi-task!