To work for tips

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by vcourchene, Sep 4, 2013.

1. vcourchene Junior Member

English
    Hello!

I am a street performer who relies on being tipped by tourists. I am trying to learn a little bit of each popular language so that I can communicate with more people. But, I have no German language knowledge what so ever! I take a lot of pictures with people and was wondering how to say both:

"We work only on/for tips." and "We take pictures for tips."

Thanks in advance!

2. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    It's a little tricky, since "tips" in a restaurant would mostly likely be "Trinkgeld", but on the street, you may want to say "donation", but I don't know what would be a good word for that in German.

3. vcourchene Junior Member

English
    At the moment I say "Oh Germany - Deutschland! Ich liebe dich!!! We take pictures for "trinkgeld"... danke schön!

Germans are awesome and find it adorable but I'd love to be able to say a full sentence in German. Is this correct to say:

"Wir arbeiten für trinkgeld." or "Wir machen ein photos für trinkgeld."

4. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    If I had to choose, I would probably say "Wir lassen uns gegen Trinkgeld / eine Spende fotografieren".

This is non-native advice. I'm not entirely sure what's said "on the street". :eek:

5. vcourchene Junior Member

English
    Thank you!! German is so confusing to me but I love the way it sounds. I'll try this out :)

6. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany

• Wir arbeiten als Gegenleistung für Spenden (von Passanten).
    • Wir fotografieren Sie/Passanten/Touristen gegen eine kleine Spende.

7. perpend

perpend Senior Member

American English
    I think the street performers are getting photographed, with tourists, Gernot.

8. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    Well in that case it would be:
    • Wir lassen uns gegen eine kleine Spende mit Ihnen fotografieren.