1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Today it's chilly

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by gioeyo, Apr 25, 2013.

1. gioeyo Junior Member

USA
    English--American
    Cerco una parola che significa 'un po' freddo'. In Inglese parliamo 'chilly' or 'cool' ma no posso trovare una parola equivalente in Italiano. Qualcuno può dare un suggerimento?

Grazie.

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
  3. gioeyo Junior Member

USA
    English--American
    The full sentence: 'Today it's chilly--a little cold.' The context is a conversation about the weather.

4. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    You can say "oggi fa freschino/un po' freddo".

5. ValerioPak

ValerioPak Senior Member

Bergamo
    Italian
    You could also use freddino, which is quite idiomatic in such a context. Hope it helps, Val.

6. stella_maris_74

stella_maris_74 Mod About Chocolate

Rome
    Italian - Italy
    Another option: oggi fa freschetto. :)

7. gioeyo Junior Member

USA
    English--American
    Thank you all--all 3 suggestions sound good to me and are much appreciated.

By the way, ValerioPak, I speak regularly with a language-learning friend from near-to-you Palosco and I usually try to give him a weather update from here in St. Louis--I'll use 'freddino' and wait for him to be impressed.

gioey

8. ValerioPak

ValerioPak Senior Member

Bergamo
    Italian
    Palosco is indeed very near to where I live. I didn't suggest freschetto in the first place, as I used to say that when I was younger and lived in Rome. It sounds more central Italian to me (though it is just a rule of thumb and no attempt at analysing Italian dialects). Freddino sounds standard and appropriate when talking about weather. Fresco may sound pleasant. Freddino conveys a an idea of colder wheather which is similar to the one of chilly. There may be other options, however... so wait for your friend to suggest other solutions. Cheers. V.

9. curiosone

curiosone Senior Member

Romagna, Italy
    AE - hillbilly ;)
    Ho anche sentito "frescotto", nel senso di essere un pò TROPPO fresco.

10. gioeyo Junior Member

USA
    English--American
    ValerioPak--

I just spoke to my friend in Palosco. He says he uses the word 'freddino' but his 2 sons say 'freschetto', but he agrees that they mean the same thing--he says it's beautiful there today--thanks again.

Curiosone, thanks for the 'freschetto' suggestion.

gioeyo