1. addictedtolanguages Senior Member

English
    Hi there

Is there a difference between tongs and nu-pieds or do they both mean flip-flops??

Thanks!

2. moustic Senior Member

near Limoges
    British English
    For me:
    tongs = flip-flops
    nu-pieds = very open footwear, including flip-flops

3. Tresley

Tresley Senior Member

Yorkshire / United Kingdom
    British English
    I have been looking for a translation for 'nu-pieds' that are specifically for women (i.e. not 'flip-flops' or 'beach sandals', as men wear these too).
    The type of 'nu-pieds' I mean are like flip-flops, but they also have an extra strap that goes up the back of the heel and then another strap that goes around the ankle.
    I thought of 'gladiator sandals', but they have lots and lots of straps that cover the top of the foot and ankle.
    Any ideas? Anyone?

4. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I showed them to the teenager in the room. She says they're just sandals. :rolleyes: First she suggested gladiator sandals, but I agree with you, usually those have more straps. When I proposed ankle-strap thong sandals she rolled her eyes at me (too many words, apparently), but it was the best I could come up with.

5. Tresley

Tresley Senior Member

Yorkshire / United Kingdom
    British English
    Hi Kelly B,

Thanks for your suggestion. You did it!

That's it - 'thong sandals' or 'toe post sandals'.

With your suggestion of 'thong sandals' my wife came up with 'toe post sandals' too.

Both show what I am looking for on Google images.

Many, many thanks. YAY to Kelly B! Thank you!

6. OLN

OLN Senior Member

Alsace, France
    French - France, ♀
    Je crains que ta définition ne soit trop restrictive.
    Les nu-pieds sont des sandales légères faites d'une semelle et de lanières, pour hommes, femmes ou enfants. Si certains ont une bride entre les premier et deuxième orteils comme les tongs, et d'autres ont à la fois une bride à l'arrière de la cheville et une autre autour de la cheville, ou d'autres encore des brides croisées sur le cou-de-pied, ce ne sont que des variantes de nu-pieds liées à la mode du jour.

(nu-pieds pour femmes sans bride entre les orteils : image, autre image)

Le principal est que tu aies trouvé le mot en anglais qui te manquait. :)

7. guillaumedemanzac Senior Member

English - Southern England Home Counties
    Greek sandals with straps. or just crocs.
    Remember you can't use "thongs" in English unless you really specify sandals/flipflops/beach sandals because thongs are what Brazilian ladies wear on the beach and usually with no shoes/sandals or bikini top.