Tonight vs Tonite

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jaykemin, Aug 13, 2005.

1. jaykemin

jaykemin Senior Member

English
    Hi foreros, I'm just curious if there is a difference between Tonite and Tonight. When do we use these words?:)

2. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Jay: Do you know that you've already posted the same question in the Spanish forum?....
    Philippa answered you there.

3. jaykemin

jaykemin Senior Member

English
    Ya veo, I was wrong coz I post it on Spanish. Sorry

4. whatonearth Senior Member

UK, English
    Tonite = Informal/AE, Tonight = BE ('tonite' not used in BE) - simple as that really

5. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

Arizona
    American English
    Here's another thread in this forum dealing with marketing department spellings:

light or lite

Cheers.

6. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    That's my view as well, but I was surprised to see a suggestion in this thread that "tonite" is only BE :confused: ...
    Throughout my whole life, whenever I've seen "tonite" (along with "lite", "thru", "thoro", and a few others like that), it's always been in American sources, not in BrE (with the exception of the Darryl Read website I mentioned in that other thread, but then Mr Read did spend quite some time in Hollywood). Everything I can find on the web also points to "tonite" being informal American usage.

Searching in various corpora, Ngrams, etc doesn't work, because most instances of tonite refer to the name of an explosive used in the late 19th and early 20th centuries!

So, roxcyn, if you read this, I'm curious to know why you think "tonite" (for "tonight") is BrE. Do you have any examples?

And are there any BrE speakers out there who think that it's BrE rather than AmE?

Ws
    :)

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    "Tonite" is not a proper spelling in AE, either. It's used in show-business advertising, product promotion, and the like (like "lite" for light), as well as in communications to and from teenagers. It is never used in formal writing, and most adults wouldn't use it in informal writing, either. The word is tonight.

8. DonnyB

DonnyB Senior Member

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I've certainly always associated "tonite" with being of AmE origin, although to be fair it's one of a number of North American imports which have established their place in the language on this side of the Atlantic as well.

9. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    Thanks, Parla. That's exactly how I see its use, too — and that supports my belief that it's not, as roxcyn suggested, "usually reserved for BrE".

And thanks, Donny. I hadn't noticed it coming up in UK usage, but if you're seeing it then I guess it's just another one of those AE/BE distinctions that are gradually on the way out.

Ws:)

10. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

:thumbsup: I absolutely agree.

11. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Hi Wordsmyth and Parla. I really did think it was BrE, but I guess I'm wrong. Some of the resources I checked said it should be "tonight", and perhaps derived from Hollywood, music industry or people trying to standardize spelling.

12. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Tonight - frequently.
    Tonite - never.