1. Ineedyourhelp! Junior Member

French
    Could s.o tell me the meaning of the word " the torchmen"?

2. petit1 Senior Member

français - France
    Any context, please?
    Has it got anything to do with the Olympic flame?

3. Ineedyourhelp! Junior Member

French
    The first occurrence of the word is in the following sentence:
    "I asked did they not call the doctor or the priests or the Torchmen but Brendan just shrugged and claimed he couldn't remember any more"
    The "patient" refuse to go out of his bedroom. That situation has been lasting for 10 years.

4. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    It's from a short story by the Irish author Sean O'Reilly (if Ineedyourhelp is still working on the same text as in his/her other posts). So, I guess it's an Irish thing...

@Ineedyourhelp
    When you ask for a translation you need to give much more context and you are also supposed to give your own best guess.

5. Ineedyourhelp! Junior Member

French
    my translation is: "J'ai demandé s'ils n'avaient pas appelé un docteur, des hommes d'église ou {the torchmen} mais Brendan a juste haussé les épaules et a prétendu ne plus se souvenir."

I can't figure out what it is.

6. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    "les éclaireurs" ???

It must be something specific to Irish traditions/customs but I have no idea, just guessing.

7. Ineedyourhelp! Junior Member

French
    Oui merci, je prends note et j'ai l'intention de faire des recherches sur l'histoire de l'Irlande. Peut-être que j'y trouverai une explication.

8. Transfer_02 Senior Member

Espoo, Finland
    English - British
    I googled "Ireland customs traditions" but didn't hit on anything straight away.
    Maybe you could try posting a new thread with a title that might attract an native Irish audience eg Torchmen (Ireland) or ask a moderator to change the title of the thread for you.

9. Ineedyourhelp! Junior Member

French
    Yes, thank you, I'll do that.