Touch wood/[US] knock on wood

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Jun 6, 2013.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    This is not a repeat of my last thread but a request for a Turkish equivalent of a common British apotropaic expression, said in contexts where it is felt that if an action/ venture goes ahead unless you say this you might be tempting Fate.
    The expression may date back to a time when people were referring to the cross of Christ or, before that, to a time in pagan cultures where it was felt that trees were sacred.
    This phrase is used by people who rap their knuckles on a piece of wood hoping to stave off bad luck. In the UK, the phrase 'touch wood' is used - often jokingly by tapping one's head. The phrases are sometimes spoken when a person is already experiencing some good fortune and hope that it will continue - for example "I've been winning on every race - touch wood". Would inshallah be therefore the corresponding Muslim term? Thanks.

2. xpturk New Member

Turkish
    Actually inşallah is a different thing. We usually use "Aman nazar değmesin" or "şeytan kulağına kurşun" or "maşallah" for these situations.
    For example :

"Maşallah bu aralar işlerimiz tıkırında, çok para kazanıyoruz"
    "Aman nazar değmesin, bu aralar işlerimiz çok iyi, güzel para kazanıyoruz"
    "Şeytan kulağına kurşun, uzunca bir süredir işlerimiz hiç bu kadar iyi olmamıştı"

İnşallah is usually used for hope or wish.

For example:
    "İnşallah bu maçı kazanırsınız"
    "İnşallah bir dahaki sefere daha uzun bir tatil yaparız. "

By the way, it is not used as a religious term anymore. It is a very common word in Turkey that I even heard it from non-muslim Turkish citizens several times :)

3. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    What a comprehensive answer! Thanks so much for the detail & examples, xpturk. I'm now mulling over the various sentences.

4. xpturk New Member

Turkish
    You're most welcome :)

5. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    In addition to the excellent post above, don't be surprised when you come across the expression "(Aman) tahtaya vur" in Turkish texts.

6. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks as ever, Reverence.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013