touloumbache

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Xigua, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Xigua Senior Member

Canada
    English - British
    This is my first time on the Russian forum, so I thank you in advance for your time! I am trying to translate the following Russian words into English. They appear in a text written in French, so the spelling may be a little odd; I also think they have Caucasian antecedents, so they may not be 'classical' Russian.

Here they are, with, in parentheses, the sense I gather from the text. But I should very much appreciate a more accurate translation:

touloumbache (master of the feast/ revels? master of ceremonies?)

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2013
  2. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

touloumbache = тамада?

3. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I found in the dictionary of Ushakov:
    Тулумбас - Председатель пиршества, попойки (шут.). Obviously it is really connected with the name of the musical instrument.

4. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    To answer the original question: none of these words are Russian.

However, the word "тулунгуши" is mentioned in this book about the Georgians: http://az.lib.ru/c/charskaja_l_a/text_0005.shtml, and there's a footnote telling that it means "the head person of the feast".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2013
  5. marco_2 Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I can add that in Polish tołumbas was a big drum (tamburo grande).

6. Xigua Senior Member

Canada
    English - British
    Thanks to you all for your above replies. I neither speak nor read Russian, beyond various words of historical significance. It was for that reason that I turned to this forum, since the words I now need to research are not found in any of my dictionaries.

7. Nanon

Nanon Senior Member

Entre Paris et Lisbonne
    français (France)
    Xigua, if you don't mind, I will submit context elements here. It seems that the text is from the XIX century and that the author may not have transcribed the words he quoted in an accurate way.
    Source
    Judging by this context, it may well be tulumbas as quoted by Maroseika. Or tulunguši as quoted by igusarov, or a mixture of the two. Ahvalj, I did think about tamada too.

8. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Of all these suggested words, only "tamada" ("тамада́") is more or less frequently used by native Russians... The other two exists only in dictionaries and rare books, where the author wanted to picture the air and feel of Caucasian people, their traditions and customs. Perhaps, these "tulu-something" words are actually different attempts to spell the original word with latin or cyrillic alphabet... I've found yet another rare spelling: "тулумбаши", which sounds a bit Turkic because of its "-баши" suffix which means "leader, head". Anyway, it is not a widely used word.

9. Xigua Senior Member

Canada
    English - British
    Nanon and igusarov,

My thanks to you both for your contributions. The word, as used in my early twentieth-century text, is indeed meant to provide local colour, since a Caucasian regimental context is at work. The description which you provide, Nanon, is exactly suited to the text in question.

May I say spassibo bolshoie to you both, poor though my Russian is ?