1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Tout ce que ça veut dire

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by dayve, Feb 10, 2006.

1. dayve Junior Member

Sydney, Australia
    English - Australia
    I think I have the basic idea about the following sentence, but someone hopefully can give me a better translation of it:

Tout ce que ça veut dire, se disait-il, c'est qu'il se croit tout permis pour obtenir tout ce qu'il souhaite.

"All that that meant, he told himself, was that he thought anything was permissible in obtaining what he wanted"

Thanks!

2. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    Bonjour dayne!

This is my suggestion, but please wait for a better one.

''Tout ce que cela signifiait, se dit-il, était qu'il pensa que tout lui était permis afin d'obtenir ce qu'il voulait.''

3. dayve Junior Member

Sydney, Australia
    English - Australia
    Sorry anangelaway, I must have misphrased my question! I'm after a translation to English - and I guess I've haven't got it quite right yet!
    Dayve

4. Gwynanne Junior Member

Midwest, USA
    American-U.S.A./Germany
    All that that means, he was saying to himself, is that he considers himself free to obtain/get whatever he wants.

Just some verb tenses and se croire
    :)

5. Curmud Senior Member

Louisiana
    U S A American
    Hello Dayve-

Try this until a better one comes along-

All which that signifies, he said to himself, was that he thought all avenues were permitted him in obtaining that which he wanted.(or desired)

6. Starcreator Senior Member

Canada, English, French
    Canada, English
    All that that meant, he told himself, was that he thought that he could do whatever he liked to get/obtain what he wanted.

7. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Mon effort francophone:

This simply means, he said to himself, that he thinks he is allowed to do anything to get what he wants.

8. Gwynanne Junior Member

Midwest, USA
    American-U.S.A./Germany
    Watch out for verb tense! Putting in quotation marks may help.

"Tout ce que ça veut dire", se disait-il, "c'est qu'il se croit tout permis pour obtenir tout ce qu'il souhaite".

Tout ce que ça veut dire, -present tense

se disait-il, -imperfect tense

c'est qu'il se croit tout permis pour obtenir tout ce qu'il souhaite. -present tense

:)
    GA

9. dayve Junior Member

Sydney, Australia
    English - Australia
    Sorry for the delay - but thanks all for your comments! I understand it much better now!

Cheers