Toute ressemblance avec des événements ayant existé est impossible

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by chnougui, May 18, 2009.

1. chnougui Junior Member

English - Canada
    Bonjour!

The phrase, "Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental" appears at the end of most films and some works of fiction, and is recognized as being a standard "form" sentence. Does anyone know what the standard syntactical structure for the French equivalent to this English phrase is?

The sentence that I have to translate from French into English is, "Toute ressemblance avec des événements ayant existé est impossible" and I was wondering if this mimicks, though obviously subverts, a similar formal construction that exists in French for works of fiction?

Merci beaucoup par avance!

2. Feadin Junior Member

French - France
    The consensual sentence in french is:

"Les personnages et les situations de ce récit étant purement fictifs, toute ressemblance avec des personnes ou des situations existantes ou ayant existé ne saurait être que fortuite"

3. chnougui Junior Member

English - Canada
    Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for.

4. pyan

pyan Senior Member

Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    There is a thread about the translation of the "standard" French form into English. As with the English versions there are some very slight variations. Yes, this appears to mimic the usual formula.

(As moderator, I changed the title to the original French so the translation can be found in the dictionary.)