Très satisfait, satisfait, peu satisfait, pas satisfait

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Poulbot, May 12, 2009.

1. Poulbot New Member

France - french
    Hello,

I am trying to translate survey results and I cannot find the equivalence for the third possible answer:
    Très satisfait, satisfait, peu satisfait, pas satisfait
    Very satisfied, satisfied, not very/little/??? satisfied, not satisfied

Do you have any idea? Or best translations for the 4 options that are more commonly used in english?

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    Very satisfied, satisfied, not very satisfied, not satisfied/dissatisfied.

3. Poulbot New Member

France - french
    Thanks for the quick answer :)

4. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    I would have used pleased instead of satisfied.

5. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

See some good examples of Likert scale wording here

PS Likert scales usually offer an odd-numbered range of choices, so that there is a "middle" choice. Your sample only has four choices--not three or five, which means the respondent has two negative choices but only one positive choice.

very satisfied - somewhat satisfied - satisfied - somewhat unsatisfied - very unsatisfied

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  6. Veentea Senior Member

Québec
    English - US
    I usually see somewhat satisfied used.

7. Poulbot New Member

France - french
    It was on purpose to not have a middle choice so that people have to select a positive or negative choice but not in between.
    To me satisfied was considered as a positive statement and I cannot see a major difference between somewhat satisfied & satisfied... Am I wrong?

8. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    In this context, I'd choose dissatisfied (unhappy) rather than unsatisfied (not satiated).

9. wildan1

À la réflection, I agree with you, Kelly. unsatisfactory but dissatisfied

10. Veentea Senior Member

Québec
    English - US
    I believe that somewhat satisfied is a necessary distinction. It suggests an element of dissatisfaction. I have seen it on surveys.

I have seen dissatisfied as Kelly indicates but I don't see anything wrong with unsatisfied. I've seen both.

11. Darablue New Member

English, Chinese
    Hi Wildan1,

You seem to know what you are talking about when you mentioned the likert scale. Right now I'm puzzled with the english into french translation for the following:
    Very satisfied
    Somewhat satisfied
    Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied
    Somewhat dissatisfied
    Very dissatisfied

As you can probably guess, I'm having trouble with the translation for the two instances of "somewhat". Do you have a suggestion?

12. allezallez

allezallez Senior Member

Am. English
    I agree.

I don't think the two are really equal in connotation. I favor Kelly's suggestion, wherein "dissatisfied" shows a less neutral, and a more negative reaction.

13. Veentea Senior Member

Québec
    English - US
    I don't think the two are really equal in connotation. I favor Kelly's suggestion, wherein "dissatisfied" shows a less neutral, and a more negative reaction.[/quote]

Yes, allezallez, you've made a good distinction between the two.

14. wildan1

I would suggest plutôt satisfait(e) / plutôt insatisfait(e)