1. leocolombia85 Junior Member

Colombian Spanish
    Regards!
    I couldn't find any acurate English translation for "Trabajo comunitario"
    Trabajo communitario is any job or chore someone does for a community without receiving any payment. I would say that it is very similar to what a missionary does.
    Thank you in advance.
    God bless you!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. InterpreterALE

InterpreterALE Senior Member

Paraná (& Rosario), Argentina
    (Argentinian) Spanish & Lunfardo (Rioplatense slang)
    Community service es cómo se dice.

3. Poca Cosa

Poca Cosa Senior Member

Florida, U.S.
    English - US
    I'd just like to offer one comment. Often, at least in the U.S., the term "community service" is used to refer to an alternate type of punishment that a judge can give to a person found guilty of a crime, instead of sending that person to prison.

Merely for purposes of discussion, for example, a person found guilty of vandalism (graffiti, etc.) could be assigned 30 hours of community service, during which time he would have to clean up the walls he spray painted.

4. InterpreterALE

Ya sea porque el Estado lo haya sentenciado a uno a trabajo ad honorem (sin goce de sueldo) a favor de la comunidad, o porque uno haya voluntariamente elegido servir a favor de la comunidad (como los misioneros religiosos lo hacen) sin cargo, el trabajo comunitario en sí se denomina community service (it's not about what causes you to do it, but what it is in itself).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  5. Poca Cosa

Poca Cosa Senior Member

Florida, U.S.
    English - US
    Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I only wanted to make the point of the other connotation that the term community service can have, purely out of a desire to help. I always like to know the shades of meaning of words, expressions, etc. in Spanish.

6. InterpreterALE

You have a good point and I agree with you 100%. Just adding a little more information, as my motto says: any contribution/suggestion is welcome.