1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

tracić u kogoś

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Oletta, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Oletta

Oletta Senior Member

Hi everybody, Witam wszystkich,

I have problem with the following phrase: "tracić u kogoś", as an example I have a religious text: " ...porażeni ślepotą i nie wiedzą co czynią i co, wskutek swej falszywej dumy, tracą u Boga." If you arrive at some idea of its translation, please write. Thank you!

2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    "... they loose their credit with God."?

3. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    If you were to do away with one 'o', then who knows... but as it is, I don't think it's a good translation.

There is an expression 'to think less of somebody' which may be fit to be used here, but I'll add to the thread when I have come up with something better.

4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    "Fall out of God's favor". By the way, "niewiedza" should be spelled together. "Fall out of grace", also.

Sorry, you had it as a verb -- nie wiedzą. I initially took it for "porażeni ślepotą i niewiedzą".

"Fall out of favor with God" is also used.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  5. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Of course, it should be lose.

6. alejandro123 Junior Member

Polish
    Could you tell me if 'falling out of/losing favor with someone' also works in the following context?

After making a fuss about nothing my father really lost a lot of favor with my girlfriend.

7. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Provided that you do away with 'a lot', which does not really belong there. It sounds terrible, if you ask me. Other than that, it's fine.