1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

track (music)

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by kra, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kra Senior Member

EU
    Russian/Ukrainian
    Could someone please tell me how to say "track" in Romanian? Can you just use "priesa," or no?

2. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    You could, depending on the context - which you did not provide. For example: eight-track reel-to-reel recorder -> magnetofon cu opt piste, but sound track -> coloana sonoră

Later,

3. traveling cloud New Member

Braşov
    Romanian
    If it's about a song, I usually say "piesă" (related to "piece"), short for "piesă muzicală". Alternatively, you may use "melodie".

"Track" has a broader meaning, so if the context is technical (like "track 02 of the audio CD") you should use "pistă".

I agree with farscape regarding "coloană sonoră", although many young Romanian speakers use "soundtrack" as a loan word.

4. naicul New Member

Oslo, Norway
    Romanian
    it's not "priesa", it is "piesă". yes, you can use "piesă" when you talk about a track.

5. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Romanian
    Gentle people, let's take a step back and read the rules: we need a context to give an answer and that is for a very good reason.

The answer has to be specific to avoid confusion and unnecessary debates. Is it piesă or bucată muzicală or is it compoziţie? Or pistă, if we're dealing with, say a sampler with multiple (sound) tracks?

They are all valid choices, depending on the context. Since the OP didn't bother to define a context or to say thanks, there's not much left to say.

Best,