Trainor or Trainer?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kota, Nov 26, 2009.

1. kota

kota Senior Member

Where Truth is
    English, tagalog
    Which is the correct form: trainor or trainer? Commentor or commenter?

I am inclined to use the O instead of E.

However, my spellchecker would always recommend the E as the correct form.

I don't feel right using the E forms for these words. Please guide.

2. Silver_Biscuit

Silver_Biscuit Senior Member

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Why would you not believe your spell-checker? If you think there's an error in the software you could check an online dictionary to confirm, but in this case it's right. Trainer and commenter are spelt just like that.

3. kota

kota Senior Member

Where Truth is
    English, tagalog
    The spelling is not my problem. The form is. Both forms are being used, but I would go for the standard one.

There are many editors here. I would like to know what they think.

4. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Neither -or nor -er is a 'standard form'. Some words are spelt ending in -or (doctor, commentator) and some are spelt ending in -er (trainer, commenter). 'Trainor' and 'commentor' are just misspellings, not a 'different form'. There's nothing more to it, you just have to learn the spellings of individual words.

5. ...'trainer' and 'commentator' are the correct spellings of these words. They are unequivocal (check our own WR dictionary at the top of the page). ('Commenter' doesn't appear as a word in either Merriam-Webster or Dictionary.com).

Most verbs have a standard -er/-or suffix which are not interchangeable. As Silver Biscuit says, you just have to learn them.

I can only think of adviser/advisor which is commonly spelt both ways.

Rover

6. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Yeah, that's worth adding. 'Commenter' is in the OED, but it's marked as obsolete. It would be understood, and if you were going to use it, that would be the way to spell it. But you probably wouldn't use it unless it was the 17th century.

7. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    If it hasn't done so already, I imagine 'commenter' will soon make a comeback, used to describe people who comment on blogs etc.

8. Silver_Biscuit

Reykjavík
    English - UK
    Yeah, that's actually what I thought it probably meant before I looked it up. So maybe it has come back, just the OED hasn't gathered enough data on it to warrant a dictionary edit.