1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

transforming verb into noun

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by arbilab, Mar 10, 2008.

1. arbilab Senior Member

Dallas Texas US
    US english
    Then it transmutes from a verb to a noun? Curious. I thought English was the only language squirrely enough to do that. :eek:

2. Dom Casmurro

Dom Casmurro Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    There is one word - guarda (guard, cop, or any guy in uniform in charge of guarding property) - that seems to be made up by the verb guardar (to keep). And of course, there is a long list of compound nouns (verbs linked to nouns with a hyphen): limpa-pratos (dishwasher); pára-quedas (parachute); guarda-roupa (wardrobe). This is common in other Latin languages, with no hyphen present (guardaespaldas in Spanish; parapluie in French). I understand that in English, verbs linked to nouns need to be modified by the -er suffix to become nouns on their own right (housekeeper); and verb + noun compounds can also be formed by verbs that are followed by nouns (watchman).

3. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I'm not sure pinga-the-noun derives from pinga-the-verb. It's quite common in Portuguese for the 3rd. per. sg. of the present indicative tense to be identical in form to the corresponding noun. That's sometimes used in back-formation, but it's also possible that the verb was formed after the noun.

In any case, turning verbs into nouns is very much possible in Portuguese. To give you an idea, almost any infinitive can, in principle, be turned into a noun. Examples: o pôr do sol, o nascer do sol, o alvorecer...

4. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
  5. arbilab Senior Member

Dallas Texas US
    US english
    Thanks to everyone for explaining. I get myself in trouble making assumptions like 'only English does this'.