transition words vs transitional words

Discussion in 'English Only' started by JerryLCC, Dec 28, 2012.

1. JerryLCC Senior Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    Hello everyone,
    I think this is a quite simple question, but it is confusing me that I am not sure whether I should use the noun form, verb form or adjctive form. While I am searching on google, it show everything on different websites. So I need a little help. Thank you.

I want to tell my students that they better use transition words in their essay. And I would say:
    "You better add transition word / transitional words in each paragraph"
    "In this sentence, you should add compare transitions / comparison transitions / compare transitional words / comparsion transitonal word"
    "And also, you may want to add consequence transitional words / transional words of consequence at the ending paragraph."

Actually, I just want to clarify which form is in normal usage if all of them are correct.

Thank you very much.

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    Hi,

"transitional" or "transition" words both seem correct but I prefer the second. A very simple and popular word that means the same is "connector". To specify what kind you could say "connectors that show xxx/connectors of xxx".

3. JerryLCC Senior Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    Hello, Tazzler,
    What about compare / comparsion transition words
    are these two phrases both correct?

4. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    If I had to say that I would say "comparison transition words" because "compare" would be ambiguous.

5. JerryLCC Senior Member

Beijing
    Chinese
    OK, thank you very much.