1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Translation of a tibetan saying?

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by ryanorsm, May 20, 2013.

1. ryanorsm New Member

English
    Hey,

I would love to know the translation of the following tibetan saying! Can anyone help?

This is the text:

Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 9.08.13 PM.png

Thanks!

2. asanga Junior Member

Indonesian
    It says "will breathe". In modern colloquial Tibetan the verb "to breath" is usually dbugs btang (pronounced uk tang) "to send breath", but you also sometimes hear dbugs rgyag (uk gyak) "to put/throw breath". brgyab (the 2nd word in your picture) is the future tense of rgyag "to throw". Where is it from, what's the context?

3. ryanorsm New Member

English
    Thanks so much for your reply! I found it while looking for a tattoo design. I really like the concept of "breathe" and how it has everything to do with life, excersize, martial arts, stress etc etc. It becomes the concept for so many things, that I find important.

I found two tattoos online while searching for "breathe tibetan tattoo" if you click on google images, you'll see pictures of their wrists. Sorry I would paste the links but I cant as a new member. :/

Thanks again!

4. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hi Ryanorsm,
    Why something in Tibetan, rather than Afrikaans or English?

5. asanga Junior Member

Indonesian
    If you're trying to say the infinitive of the verb "to breathe", it should be དབུགས་གཏོང་བ་

If you're trying to say "the breath", it's just དབུགས་

I'm not into tattoos, but from a purely aesthetic POV I think Umé script works better for tattoos than Uchen (the 2 main varieties of Tibetan script), and an Umé phrase or sentence looks better than just one or two words. Some examples of Tsugring calligraphy (IMO the most beautiful style of Umé):

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/45c/8f3/45c8f36c-2190-4496-9fb6-616fe1070f17

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s4QHBX2wN...I/WlKfiGtCn-g/s1600/3-Tsugring-example-72.jpg

6. ryanorsm New Member

English
    The main reason was the aesthetic's of the tibetan script that really interests me. :) I was also trying not to be too cliche about it too.. :)

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  7. ryanorsm New Member

English
    Awesome thank you! I've thought about it and "will breathe" seems to make more sense. To me it means "no matter what i will make it through this, I will just take a couple breaths and continue.." Does that make sense? I currently don't have any tattoos, but I would love to get one, and this just seems like the perfect introduction piece.. Im pretty sold on the Uchen style script tho, its perfect for very small tattoos, like the one I want :)

That being said I find the Umé amazing too! Do you have any idioms that you think are in the same context as what I want, in Umé?

8. asanga Junior Member

Indonesian
    OK, I get what you're trying to say now, and dbugs brgyab doesn't really convey it. I'd suggest:

gangyang.jpg

"Whatever happens, will keep breathing."

I can't think of any Tibetan sayings involving dbugs "breath", but made up two lines in Tibetan-prayer-style verse:

ugyung.jpg

1) "Breathing in and out, may one remain at ease."
    2) Literally says "When one can't exhale, may one exhale." The idiom dbugs ma phyung "unable to exhale" means "to suffer" and dbugs dbyung "to exhale" means "to find relief, comfort," so it means "When one suffers, may one find relief."

Tibetan sentences don't require a clearly expressed agent, so I've translated them impersonally ("may one remain"), but it could also be translated in the 1st or 2nd person (may I remain, may you remain).

The same sentences in Umé script, tsugring style:

ugyung_ume.jpg

Umé is designed for handwritten calligraphy and this is a computer font, so it's not perfect (some of the strokes aren't connected, others are touching when they shouldn't be, the spacing is a little off, etc.). But I think a tattooist with a good eye for graphic design should be able to touch it up based on the examples I gave earlier, even if they don't know any Tibetan.