trashumancia electoral

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by doggie plus, Aug 21, 2006.

1. doggie plus New Member

New York
    United States, English
    Believe it or not, the Colombian congressman are prohibited from

6. "...Por participar en prácticas de transhumancia electoral."

This translates literally into: "For participating in the practice of electoral seasonal migration of livestock." Any ideas on how this might make more sense? Thanks very much.

2. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Well no. Trashumar is what someone who moves from one place to the other does. I don´t want to assume anything but, is it possible it talks about people who go from one polling place to the other?

3. reneé musso New Member

Spanish Argentina
    I think this word refers to "changing from a list to another", that is, if you are on a political list, you can´t change and appear on another one

4. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    Hi,

I don't know a single two-word expression in English for transhumancia electoral, but I guess you've got the meaning: a seasonal migration from one political party to another (be a republican this year and a democrat the next).

Greetings,

Erasmo.

5. doggie plus New Member

New York
    United States, English
    Quite possible, moritzchen. I wonder if there is a term for that in English. Thanks!

6. doggie plus New Member

New York
    United States, English
    Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. I am confused: is the trashumancia referring to the migration of voters from one polling place to another, or the appearance of candidates on more than one party list?

7. mirx Senior Member

Español
    In that context you quoted, transhumancia refers to the moving of votes from one polling place to another.

8. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    Hi,

It refers to candidates, but not to be in two lists at the same time. It means to be senator, for example, for the democrat party this year, and the next year migrate to the republican party.

Greetings,

Erasmo.

9. loladamore

loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    I found this, which supports the idea of moving voters:

Un aspirante al concejo denuncia incluso que de Soacha están llevado gente a Bosa y a Ciudad Bolívar, para alterar el resultado electoral. [...] hasta el momento no existen denuncias por transhumancia electoral en la capital (here).

And here is the legal definition.

10. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    Hola,

Para dar otra idea, en Perú les llaman tránsfugas, a los que cambian de partido, sobretodo una vez que han sido elegidos (como congresistas mayormente). Y aunque no creo que exista en el DRAE, le llaman "transfuguismo".

Saludos,

Erasmo.

11. loladamore

loladamore Senior Member

Zacatecas, México
    English UK
    Parece ser que también se llama transhumancia/transhumancia partidista/ideológica.

12. reneé musso New Member

Spanish Argentina
    Hello! I think that it refers to candidates that go from a polly list to another according to their convenience.