Trato de hacer una carta

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by andres, Aug 20, 2004.

1. andres New Member

argentina spanish
    Esta es una frase de una carta que estoy escribiendo, ¿podrían ayudarme a escribirlo de la mejor manera?

Muchas gracias

The quantity of crimes without resolving in Costa Rica is high, great bigger than there believe the persons who live out of the country being guided by numbers and statistics written by the same persons that they do not solve the crimes in the country.

Muchas gracias

2. billhmjr

billhmjr Junior Member

The amount of unsolved crime in Cost Rica is high. People outside the country do not realize how high it is due to the fact that the data on crime is managed by the same people that are failing to solve the cases.

3. andres New Member

argentina spanish

4. andres New Member

argentina spanish
    Esta es una carta completa que estoy escribiendo, pero me encuentro perdido ya que hace poco comencé a estudiar Ingles ¿podrían ayudarme a escribirlo de la mejor manera?

Muchas gracias
    Espacial agradecimiento a billhmjr

By means of the present letter I want to tell you the reasons for which I want to remain in Canada and cannot return to Costa Rica.
    On (date) I was attacked without motivate for (n) because of this attack I tried to find help by different ways, without finding any satisfactory result.

I try to obtain help with friends and relatives but they were in the same situation as me they have no knowledge how to resolve my problem.

The day of the Hearing before Immigration they asked me about the reason about which I didn’t went to the police to made the report for the attacks and threats that (n) committed against me. I answered to immigration that in Costa Rica the police do not want to take you denounce and the police always wants witnesses of the attacks, if you do not have witnesses they do not take you denounce.
    Definitively the Costa Rican police do not act in the prevention of the crime; the Police usually act when the crime is already committed, and crime have involved serious injuries or is a murder.

The police of Costa Rica do not have the interest to anticipate the crime, I can assure it because I am Costa Rican, in contrast to the Canadian police that they tries to anticipate the crime before this is committed hereby the citizenship it is less affected by the delinquents.

The impunity that the delinquents have in Costa Rica and the fear of the reprisals that these delinquents could take against whom accuse them they do that the majority of the population does not denounce the crimes to the police, fact that does not bother anybody since it the people of low resources have all these problems, between them myself.

I beg you to bear in mind my current situation, at the moment to decide my future because this decision is on my life and not about my country of residence.
    I am already grateful to you for the opportunity to be able to communicate to you with my own words what I think about the situation through that I am living, situation that I do not wish anybody.

5. Maru Senior Member

Argentina/español
    I'm at the beginning of English too. But I want to say you that you have my support. I really understand you, because I live in Venezuela… Sometimes I want to go away from my country because of so many things… but the most terrible thing is the impunity. Good luck!

6. hypertweeky Senior Member

USA
    Spain, Spanish
    By means of the present letter I want to mention the motives for which I desire to remain in Canada and cannot return to Costa Rica.

On (date) I was attacked for no reason, because of this attack I tried to find help in many ways, but I was unable to find any satisfactory result.

I have tried to get help from friends and relatives but they are in my very same situation, they don't know how to resolve my problem.

THE DAY OF THE HEARING BEFORE IMMIGRATION? (what do you mean by that??, sorry I don't understand!), they asked me why I didn't report the attacks and threads (I omited commited against me.. it sounds to repetitive) to the police. My answer was that in Costa Rica, the police don't want to take your denounce unless you have witnesses of the attack. (Repetitive again, sorry!)

Definitively the Costa Rican police don't take any action to prevent the crime, the police acts when the crime is already committed or when the crime involves serious injuries or ends up in murder.

Costa Rican police has no interest in anticipating the crime. I assure so because I am a Costa Rican citizen, The Canadian police in contrast to the Costa Rican police tries to anticipate the crime before it is committed (hereby the citizenship it is less affected by the delinquents??, what do you mean by that?)

The impunity that these delinquents have here, and the fear of the reprisals that these delinquents might take against it's prosecutors make the population not to denounce the crimes to the police,in fact that doesn't bother anybody since it's people of low resources who have these problems, among them myself.

I plea you to bear in mind my current situation when my future is discussed, this decision is about my life (my life depends on this decision?) and not about my country of residence (I don't understand what you mean..)

I am already grateful to you for having the opportunity to explain in my very own words what I think about the situation I am going through, situation that I don't wish anybody.

Suggestions are encouraged!;)

7. andres New Member

argentina spanish
    Esta es la carta completa en español:

Por medio de la presente carta quiero hacerle llegar las razones por las cuales quiero permanecer en Canadá y no puedo regresar a costa rica.
    En (fecha) fui atacado sin que motivo por (n) a causa de ese ataque trate de encontrar ayuda de diferentes maneras, sin encontrar ningún resultado satisfactorio.

Trate de conseguir ayuda con amigos y familiares pero ellos se encontraban en la misma situación ante el problema que yo estaba atravesando.

El día del Hearing(Juicio) ante El Departamento de Immigration ellos me preguntaron la razón por la cual yo no fui a la policía a denunciar los ataques y amenazas que (n) cometió en mi contra, mi respuesta fue que en Costa Rica la policía no quiere tomar la denuncias y siempre quiere testigos de los ataques, en definitiva ellos no actúan en la prevención del delito, la Policía usualmente actúa sobre el delito ya cometido siempre y cuando este delito sea grabe como un homicidio.

La policía de Costa Rica NO tiene el interés de prevenir el delito y esto yo lo puedo asegurar porque soy Costarricense, a diferencia de la policía Canadiense que procura prevenir el delito antes que este sea cometido de esta manera la ciudadanía es menos afectada por los delincuentes.

La impunidad que tienen los delincuentes en Costa Rica y el temor a las represalias que esos delincuentes puedan tomar en contra de quienes los acusan hacen que la mayoría de la población no reporte los crímenes a la policía, hecho que no le molesta a nadie ya que todos estos problemas lo tiene la gente de bajos recursos, entre ellos yo mismo.

Les pido a ustedes tengan en cuenta mi situación actual, al momento de decidir mi futuro, porque esta decisión es sobre mi vida y no sobre mi país de residencia.
    Desde ya les agradezco la oportunidad que ustedes me otorgan de poder comunicarme y explicar la situación que estoy viviendo, situación que no le deseo a nadie.

8. el alabamiano Senior Member

Alabama
    Andres, es mucho mejor haberla lo más breve posible y sin oraciones redundantes.

I am using this letter as a means of telling you my reasons for why I want to remain in Canada and why it would be so difficult to have to return to Costa Rica.

On (date), I was attacked without motive by (n, a minor). Because of this attack, I have tried various ways to obtain some assistance for recourse without achieving any satisfactory results. I did this by consulting friends and relatives but, unfortunately, they are in the same (financial) situation as I am and can not help me resolve the problem.

On the day that I appeared before Immigration, I was asked why I didn't file a police report concerning the attacks and threats that (n) made against me. I answered that, in Costa Rica the police do not want to take action against anyone unless there are witnesses to the assault, and only if the crime results in serious injury or murder. I can assure you of this because I am Costa Rican, and I also know that this policy is in contrast to the policy of the Canadian police. It shows in the way that the citizenry of Canada are able to live in a much safer environment than do the citizenry of Costa Rica.

It should also be clear that the criminal element in Costa Rica, especially the delinquents, act with impunity and use the fear of reprisals against those who might report them, moreso against the poorest population, of which I am part. This is a fact that does not seem to bother anyone, so you must understand that I have absolutely no recourse there.

I beg you to bear in mind my current situation, a situation that I would not wish on anyone, because your decision will go far beyond deciding my place of residence. It will affect my future, as well as my life, so please remember that I am already extremely grateful just for having the opportunity of using this forum to freely plead my case.

Sincerely,

9. bofico Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    USA-English
    very nice job, alabamiano.

but instead of

".....for having the opportunity of using this format to freely plead my case."

I would go with

".....for having the opportunity of using this forum to freely plead my case."

10. el alabamiano Senior Member

Alabama
    Thanks, bofico, and I can go with forum as being the best word to use in this case.

P. S. I went back and made the edit.

11. Sharon

Sharon Senior Member

United States, English
    I agree with bofico, very nice job, alabamiano, but in the following sentence,the word 'more' is unnecessary. "It shows in the way that the citizenry of Canada are able to live in a much more safer environment than do the citizenry of Costa Rica."
    Good luck, Andres.

12. el alabamiano Senior Member

Alabama
    Thanks, Sharon! I had actually added the word "more" during the Preview stage. As to why, I have no idea, as I was trying hard to avoid over-emphasizing any portion of the letter. Anyhow, I made the change, and thanks again for pointing it out.

13. bofico Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    USA-English
    Good eye, Sharon! Your version is infinitely more better. :rolleyes:

14. Maru Senior Member

Argentina/español

Is it correct to say "more better" in English?, is like "mucho mejor" in Spanish?
    I ask you for it because in Spanish it is incorrect, though sometimes we can say it by mistaking if someone is talking faster or something like that. It would be "más mejor".
    (If you want to, correct my English please)

15. abarwick Junior Member

Paia, Maui, Hawaii
    UK ¡aprendiendo español! English-Deutsch-Français-[Nederlands]
    No, it is not correct to say "more better" in English. One would use "much better".

16. Maru Senior Member

Argentina/español

Thank you very much for the answer, particularly for the corrections…

17. hypertweeky Senior Member

USA
    Spain, Spanish
    I didn't understand a lot of the stuff he wrote but you did:), congrats!!:)

Ps: "Hacerla"

18. el alabamiano Senior Member

Alabama
    Ahw, be quiet, Tweek! You only complimented me just so you could shove that correction down my intelligent little throat! :mad:

;) :rolleyes:

19. Pearl Senior Member

Barcelona (Catalonia)
    Spain - Catalan, Spanish, English, Icelandic
    Creo que la carta no necesita más retoques,aunque sí quiero decirte algo:

Mucha suerte Andres,

20. toniga Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    By means of the present letter I wish to explain the reasons why I cannot return to Costa Rica and wish to remain in Canada
    On (date) I was attacked by (n) without any reason. Because of this attack I have tried to find help in different ways, without finding any satisfactory result, so far.

The day of the Hearing at the Immigration Department(???) I was asked why I had not gone to the police and reported the attacks and threats inflicted upon me. I said that in C.R. the police do not file reports, unless you have witnesses. As a matter of fact, Costa Rican police does not work on crime prevention. It only acts once the crime has been committed , serious injuries involved or murder. .

Costa Rican Police does not aim at crime prevention - I, as a Costa Rican, can assure you - in contrast to the Canadian police which tries to prevent crime rather than to wait until it is committed, hereby the citizenship is less affected .

On one hand, the impunity with which delinquents act in Costa Rica, on the other , and for this same reason, the fear of retaliation makes most of the population is reluctant to file police reports. Society in general does not mind about it because it is the low-income segment of the population the most affected by this situation and I do belong there.

I would please ask you to bear my current situation in mind when you decide my future, because your decision will affect my survival rather than just my country of residence. I greatly appreciate the opportunity you have given me to explain the situation I am going through at the moment, which I would not wish my worst enemy.

21. toniga Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Sorry MARU, but "más mejor" is incorrect. "Mucho mejor" is correct

22. Maru Senior Member

Argentina/español
    No entendí...

23. toniga Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Is it correct to say "more better" in English?, is like "mucho mejor" in Spanish?
    I ask you for it because in Spanish it is incorrect, though sometimes we can say it by mistaking if someone is talking faster or something like that. It would be "más mejor".
    (If you want to, correct my English please)

Maru:

Maye I misunderstood when you said "It would be: "más mejor". Now that I re-read it I see that you are translating the incorrect English "more better".

So, the correct English -Spanish is:

"much better" = "mucho mejor"

Thank you for calling my attention.