tratto timbrico e le stesure di colore piatto

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by jugee, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jugee Junior Member

English
    Hi. I am trying to translate a dialogue between an artist and a critic and I am having trouble with "tratto timbrico e color piatto". The artist is speaking of his typical style, there is not much context here:

"Ogni qualvolta ho cambiato mano per fare questi dipinti mi sentivo rigenerato, pronto a tornare a quella che io sento "la mia pittura". Mi riferisco ai quadri con il tratto timbrico e le stesure di colore piatto. Ogni qualvolta ho cambiato mano per fare questi dipinti mi sentivo rigenerato, pronto a tornare a quella che io sento "la mia pittura". Mi riferisco ai quadri con il tratto timbrico e le stesure di colore piatto."

My attempt:

"Every time I change my style to make one of these paintings I feel reinvigorated, ready to return to what I consider “my painting”. I am referring to my paintings with the stamped style and layers of flat color."

Thanks.

2. TheNameOfAWind

TheNameOfAWind Senior Member

Rome <3
    Italian
    Hi!
    "Colore piatto" means "plain color", without nuances, or depth.
    I'm not sure about "tratto timbrico", but I found this on the internet:

One example of "pittura timbrica" is Matisse's work.

3. jugee Junior Member

English
    So would this be "solid-colored strokes" or something of that nature?

4. TheNameOfAWind

TheNameOfAWind Senior Member

Rome <3
    Italian
    Oh, I would wait for some native who can tell you the perfect English expressions, but sounds fine to me.
    I think "tratto timbrico" is more specifically about the "shape" of the colors, the fact that they are constrained in sharp contours and they don't blend with each others, maintaining a strong contrast, while "stesure di colore piatto" refers to the colors themselves not having shades, so "solid-colored strokes", yeah. Or simply "solid color strokes", do you think that could work?