travailler au noir

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by fragolaola, May 1, 2008.

1. fragolaola Junior Member

French
    Bonsoir,
    Comment traduire l'expression "travailler au noir" ?
    il me semble avoir entendu "work off the books"...(book? books? j'hésite).... Est-ce que quelqu'un peut confirmer ? Existe-t-il d'autres expressions ?
    Merci

2. bédéiste Senior Member

English Indiana
    I've heard "working under the table" which to me says they're doing some kind of illegal transactions. The more common way and clearer is they're "cheat'n they're taxes". If indeed that's what travailler au noir means.

3. corcovado Senior Member

Paris
    French
    In the U.S. you would say "work illegally" for "travailler au noir". "Payer quelqu'un au noir", that would be "pay someone in cash".

4. hippohippo Senior Member

France
    English
    I've looked on the previous thread and would just point out that the phrase 'Working under the table,' is unknown to me (I'm BE) in my part of the world(UK and france) you mostly hear;
    I'm doing some work on the black

or

I'm doing some work cash-in-hand

5. johnblacksox Senior Member

English - US
    In the US, I've heard "working off the books". But much more common is to say, "I'm getting paid under the table".

6. Aistriúchán Senior Member

English - Ireland
    to moonlight

that's also called the slang word a 'nixer'

7. Entrains Senior Member

Paris
    French
    Work undeclared?

8. Carcassonnaise

Carcassonnaise Senior Member

France
    British English
    :thumbsup:

9. Bordelais Senior Member

Bordeaux
    English - British
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  10. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    to moonlight (I'd say) - in (Old) South Wales they say - to be on the hobble and there's also - to be on the fiddle (but that can be a bit more general)

11. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    "to work without declaring one's earnings"

12. Mtrain17

Mtrain17 Senior Member

Queens, NY
    English-USA
    To work off the books

13. Pedro y La Torre

Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Paris, France
    English (Ireland)
    Right, to do a nixer is what we'd say in Ireland.

14. Carcassonnaise

France
    British English
    To "moonlight" in BE is to work a second job (often at night, hence the lunar reference) in addition to one's main job... no connotation of avoiding tax.

15. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    So the film "Moonlighting" (vf "Travail au noir") had the wrong title?

16. Carcassonnaise

France
    British English
    I don't know this film - was it American? "Moonlighting" seems to have a different meaning in AE. I quote from my Oxford dictionary: "moonlight colloq. have two paid occupations, esp. one by day and one by night."

17. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    Answer here: "Moonlighting is a 1982 British drama film written and directed by Jerzy Skolimowski. It is set in the early 1980s at the time of the Solidarity protests in Poland. It stars Jeremy Irons as Nowak, a Polish builder leading a team working illegally in London."

18. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    Moonlighting for me is definitely travailler au noir (et même au black - which I heard the other day)

19. Carcassonnaise

France
    British English
    Odd isn't it - different perceptions of the same word. I suppose moonlighters often are effectively working on the black but I don't think this is the official sense of the word... guess the meaning is changing and maybe the dictionary will update itself, if it hasn't already. :)

20. Omelette

Omelette Senior Member

London
    UK English
    Certainly if you google 'moonlighting definition' you appear to get nothing but definitions meaning 'having a second job'
    So if the meaning really is changing, there's an awful lot of dictionaries lagging behind.

21. funnyhat Senior Member

Michigan, U.S.A.
    American English
    I'm not familiar with that meaning of "moonlighting" either. To me, it's always meant to have a second job (often, one that's more of a personal interest).

"Working under the table" is a more straightforward equivalent of travailler au noir, I think.

22. Ormston Senior Member

Brittany
    British English
    When I lived in the centre of the UK, an expression I heard was "doing a foreigner"... "Working cash in hand" is also fairly common in the UK, I seem to remember.

23. corcovado Senior Member

Paris
    French
    Moonlighting is definitely NOT "travailler au noir". Moonlighting is having a 2nd job. For instance, you would say: "he's a fisherman but he moonlights as a waiter".

24. sf1977 Junior Member

Lincolnshire
    English - UK
    I would say "working cash-in-hand" or "on the side". Agree with corcovado re. moonlighting.