1. fremont New Member

USA English
    Does anyone know how I would say "Tree-hugger" in spanish?
  2. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi Fremont... and welcome to the forum.

Since this is not a specialized terminology inquiry (but rather a colloquial expression inquiry), I'm transfering your thread to the General Vocabulary forum. I'm sure you'll find a great answer there. :)

3. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    Native speakers know what tree hugger means. But give some context for those who might have an equivalent term in their country.

un/a ecologista radical

I don't see the way to translate the stereotype image of people hugging/chaining themselves to trees, not wanting to let themselves be separated from them out of love of nature or wanting to protect them from annihilation. The general term is all for now.
  4. mjscott Senior Member

A "tree hugger" is a nature lover--only to a political extreme. It is someone who would lobby a company because they weren't recycling their used chewing gum. People who belong to Greenpeace are tree huggers.
  5. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)

In my opinion a "Tree-Hugger" Would be
    Environment Radical-----medio ambiente radical

Definition of Radical--n.
    1. One who advocates fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices, conditions, or institutions:
    "Tree-Huggers" are also known to "Spike" trees--nail spikes into the trees..
    Chain themselves to trees..and so on..

te gato;)
  6. duder Senior Member

I don't think "medio ambiente radical" really makes sense. "Ecologista radical" seems to convey the general meaning of the term, although of course it loses the nuances in translation.
  7. rfmorenos New Member

Peru spanish
    The translation would be: ecologista. It does not necesarilly refers to an extremist person but it could refers to someone who cares about the enviroment.
  8. Biffo Senior Member

English - England
    To call someone a 'tree hugger' is an insult. To call someone an ecologist is a neutral term.
  9. rfmorenos New Member

Peru spanish
    Tree hugger may be an insult, but there is no exact translation to that phrase in spanish, so, in order to have a reference it could be recommendable to take note about that probable suggestion without the intention to take it as the exact translation. Maybe we could apply the word "ecologista" by antonomasia although it could appears not exact. In spanish, to define a person that is extremist in the enviroment aspect would be called just like that: extremist as an insult too, but as "tree hugger" there is no exact translation. It literally means "abrazador de árboles" or "el que abraza los árboles".