1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Trey Street Deuces got the hoops

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wrc, Mar 3, 2009.

1. wrc Junior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Hi,

Do you know what "Trey Street Deuces" refers to here? I heard this when I was watching Prison Break and I do not get it . Is there a culture background behind it? Confused... Many thanks! :confused:

Correctional Officer: All wings, guard coming out. All wings, guard coming out.
    Sucre: Trey Street Deuces got the hoops. Nortenos got the bleachers. Woods got the weight pile. The C.O.s got the rest. I'm telling you, the guards are the dirtiest gang in this whole place. The only difference between us and them... is the badge.

2. Starfrown

Starfrown Senior Member

Columbia, SC
    English - US
    "Trey Street Deuces" is the name of a gang.

Note that "trey" = "three" and "deuce" = "two"

3. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    The Trey Street Deuces are probably a neighbourhood gang (or the representatives of a gang who are in prison). They got, I presume, the basketball court ("hoops"). In what way they "got" it I'm not sure. These are probably all gangs who are occupying, in some way, various sports facilities.

4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    This takes place in a prison, doesn't it? I've read that different prison gangs, which are often counterparts of street gangs in the free world, control various parts of the recreational facilites. In this example, the gang called the Trey Street Deuces controls the basketball courts. I'm not sure if Nortenos is the name of a person or of a gang, but Nortenos is controlling the bleachers. Woods sounds like a person's name; I guess he is the self-appointed tough guy and boss of the weight training equipment. The COs (correctional officers, prison guards) control the rest of the area and they are being considered as just another gang.

EDIT: I think I got carried away with the prison thing. Sorry. :eek:

As Starfrown pointed out "trey" means three, so the gang may have its origins in Third Street. Besides meaning two, deuce is sometimes used as a euphemism for "devil" (definition A2). That strikes me as outside the register of a street gang member, but what do I know?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  5. Starfrown

Starfrown Senior Member

Columbia, SC
    English - US
    I think these might be the Trey Deuce Crips, who have their base of operations on 32nd Street somewhere.

6. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Makes excellent sense. I bow to your superior knowledge of street gangs, Starfrown. :rolleyes:

7. wrc Junior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Hello, everybody,

First, thank you all for taking you time to offer me your kind help ! ;)

I know that "Trey Street Deuces" is a gang name. I just wondered, why is this gang called "Trey Street Deuces"?

I found in the dictionary that "Nortenos" is a spanish word which means "Northerner", it is a name of a gang, the members of this gang are made up of Americans of Mexican origion in North California.(You can find it at Wikipedia) And "Woods" is also a name of gang, I found definition for it in the dictionary too, which means "peckerwood", so I guess "Woods" here refers to a gang whose members consist of white person in this prison.

Then how about "Trey Street Deuces" ? I can not find definition for it in the dictionary! Why is this gang named "Trey Street Deuces" ? Is there also a culture background for it like "Nortenos" and "Woods" ?

8. Starfrown

Starfrown Senior Member

Columbia, SC
    English - US
    See posts #4 and #5 above.

9. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Starfrown, is there a street talk pattern that would explain breaking "32nd Street" into "Trey Street Deuces"? That's the part that doesn't quite fit for me.

10. Starfrown

Starfrown Senior Member

Columbia, SC
    English - US
    I think they may also be called simply the "Trey Deuces."

I think when you insert "street," you face a problem--that is, it wouldn't sound right to say the "Trey Deuce Streets". I think they get around it by placing "street" between "trey" and "deuces," even if it is not the most logical arrangement.

I'm not sure however.

11. wrc Junior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Mmm... Starfrown, I think this explanation from you sounds reasonable! I agree with you!

12. wrc Junior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Starfrown and Nun-Translator, thank you for helping me work out this whole gang things.;):p I appreciate that! Thank you!

Nice day!

13. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    Sucre is describing where the different gangs (who seem to consist of every single character of a given race in this prison) hang out during their recreation period. One side of the prison yard has a basketball court, one has bleachers, one has weights, etc.

14. wrc Junior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Franzi, thank you for your reply! :) I get it!