tritare

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by la gallesina, Jul 18, 2008.

1. la gallesina Junior Member

Wales
    English
    I'm doing an Italian-English translation: (I'm an Italian, Russian and English translation student)

This in an extract from a transcript of a conversation - the speaker is an 82 year old man from Tuscany. He speaks a dialect from the north-eastern region of Tuscany. The whole thing is a nightmare, but I'm puzzled by the meaning of tritare in this sentence:

"allora mi sudava parecchio i piedi e le calze in quattro e quatrr'otto le lavavo da me e le tritavo tutte."

"but then, my feet used to sweat quite a lot and like a shot I would take off my socks, wash and beat them"

?????? help! this is my first professional translation and I need to impress!

2. underhouse Senior Member

First of all there is a mistake: it should be "sudavano" and not "sudava" (e.g. "allora i piedi e le calze mi sudavano parecchio")!

"Tritavo" is from "tritare" (to mince, to chop up, to grind) so it doesn't really fit your phrase unless it is some kind of Tuscanian dialect...

Besides "tritavo", which needs to be interpreted, I think your translation is fine except for "I would take off": in the Italian sentence there is no reference to taking off his socks...

Hope it helps (to impress)... :)

3. ThroughTheLookingGlass

ThroughTheLookingGlass Senior Member

Berlin, Germany
    Italian
    I think the idea is that he would "squeeze" his socks to dry them out. It's the only logical thing I can think of right now...
    Hope this helps, but let's wait for other ideas!

Soggetto plurale e verbo al singolare è frequente nei dialetti toscani, se non sbaglio. Toscani on line? ;)
    Hai ragione, "take off" non può apparire nella traduzione, perché non c'è nel testo di partenza e possiamo solo sottointendere l'azione...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  4. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    Possibile che sia "levavo", e non "lavavo"?

... in no time I'd have those socks off me and I'd wring them out.

5. ThroughTheLookingGlass

Berlin, Germany
    Italian
    But then "da me" wouldn't make much sense, would it? Le lavavo da me = I washed them myself. "Da me" for "myself" or "by myself" is typical for Tuscany.

6. la gallesina Junior Member

Wales
    English
    Thank you - you've all helped immensely - not just with this sentence, but with the rest of the text. You're all stars xx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  7. Lucy Van Pelt Senior Member

Florence, Italy
    Italian

Sì, è vero.
    Io lo uso poco o comunque in alcuni casi particolari, ma la mia collega che è meno "cittadina" di me usa sempre queste forme...E anche le persone anziane le usano.

8. ThroughTheLookingGlass

Berlin, Germany
    Italian
    Grazie, Lucy! I dialetti sono sempre un mondo molto affascinante. Un saluto.