trust/trust in

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Gary_Kasparov, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Gary_Kasparov Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    Hello everyone, what's the difference between "trust" and "trust in"?

For ejemple:
    I trust you.
    I trust in you.

I always thought "trust in" was incorrect.

2. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

New Zealand - English
    I think it should be:

I trust you.
    I have trust in you.

The first sentence - trust is a verb.
    The second sentence - trust is a noun.

To me they mean the same thing.
  3. estefanos Senior Member

English - USA
    Also, one commonly trusts a person and has trust in a concept, idea, etc.
  4. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

New Zealand - English
    If someone I knew was going away for a while, perhaps on a long excursion, I would say "I have trust in you". I guess in that case it would mean a similar thing to "I have faith in you".

"I have trust in you (trust that you will succeed)"
  5. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    These are both generally acceptable.
    I trust you.
    I put my trust in you.

Trust in me :)

I'm not sure about the meaning of trust in here - but it is used a lot, especially in religious affirmations.
    Perhaps trust me is for once, trust in me is a long-term commitment.
    I'm looking forward to hearing more :)
  6. estefanos Senior Member

English - USA
    A very good point. I would say this too, to a friend going off on a adventure, taking on a big responsablility, etc. I still hear, though, a distinction between the two forms. To my ear, "trust" is more concrete in its object than "trust in".

If you're talking about change from a five dollar bill, then "I have trust in you" would sound a bit pretentious, I would think. I totally agree that to "have trust in" does seem to echo "to have faith in".
  7. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    Oxford UP has declared that 'trust in' is a phrasal verb:

trust in sb/sth (formal) to have confidence in sb/sth; to believe that sb/sth is good and can be relied on: She needs to trust more in her own abilities.
  8. estefanos Senior Member

English - USA
    I guess that settles that! ;)
  9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    They do tend to get it right quite often. Random House Unabridged has a similar definition, but doesn't bestow the title "phrasal verb":

–verb (used without object That means 'intransitive' for us oldtimers!) rely upon or place confidence in someone or something (usually fol. by in or to): to trust in another's honesty

American Heritage Dict.:
    v. intr.
    To have or place reliance; depend: Trust in the Lord.

Cambridge ALD-
    trust in sth/sb formal

to believe in something or someone completely

Cambridge does not list 'trust in' in its Advanced Learners Dict., but places it in the Phrasal Verbs volume.

Seems like an AE/BE divide.
  10. Li'l Bull

Li'l Bull Senior Member

Spanish (Spain)
    << Joined with previous thread. >>

Hello there, native speakers of English!

I don't really understand the difference between using the verb 'to trust' without preposition (normal usage) and using it with the preposition 'in' (slightly formal). Is there any difference in meaning, aside from the difference in register I'm pointing out? For instance:

"You need to trust your doctor." vs. "You need to trust in your doctor."

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  11. Thelb4 Senior Member

UK English
    I am not aware of any difference, apart from the register. The transitive version (that is, without "in") is more common.
  12. rhitagawr

rhitagawr Senior Member

British English
    I'd say "trust your doctor". "Trust" means to means to think someone is honest or competent. "I'd trust him with my money". "I'd trust him to get the job done".
    "Trust in" is rarer. It means something like "to have faith in". American banknotes say "In God we trust" (I think). It usually has this theological sense.
  13. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

English - South-East England
    'Trust in' is also more general: trust in the doctor = trust the doctor for anything they may do. Plain 'trust' would be used for a particular occasion: trust the doctor on this issue.
  14. ronrobby Junior Member

<< Merged with previous thread. >>

Hello,I have some doubts. I know I can say "I trust in God" (have faith in/believe in...). Why ever do I hear "I trust you" without "in" though with the same meaning of "have faith in /believe in"?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  15. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

English - South-East England
    'Trust in' is used about a person (real or imaginary) who can be relied on in many different ways. Plain 'trust' is more specific, and depends on context. 'I trust you' could mean:

I don't think you'll tell anyone else what I've told you.
    I think you'll do what you said you'd do.
    I don't think you'll betray me or cheat on me (e.g. by having a romantic affair with a third person).

If I 'trust in you', it means I think you're a good person who'll do what you say, who'll do it on time, who'll be able to handle the problems that come up, and so on - I can leave things to you.

Both usages can be made more specific with an infinitive clause: I trust (in) you to get this job done properly.