1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Try not to confuse "attachment" with "love"

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by VictoriaMason, Sep 8, 2013.

1. VictoriaMason New Member

English
    Would anyone mind translating this quote to Russian for me? I'd really appreciate it. A friend of mine was born in Russia and lives in America now and I really think this quote would help him a lot but he doesn't completely understand it in English. Thank you.

"Try not to confuse "attachment" with "love." Attachment is about fear and dependency, and has more to do with love of self than love of another. Love without attachment is the purest love because it isn't about what others can give you because you're empty. It's about what you can give others because you're already full." -Yasmin Mogahed

2. zambala Senior Member

latvian
    Попробуй не смешать привязанность с любовю.

Attachment is about fear and dependency, and has more to do with love of self than love of another. Love without attachment is the purest love because it isn't about what others can give you because you're empty. It's about what you can give others because you're already full." -Yasmin Mogahed

Привязанность - это боязнь и зависимость и больше связано с любовю к себе чем к другому. Любовь без привязанности - это самая чистая любовь, потому что это не о том что другие могут дать тебе, так как ты опустошен. Это о том чего ты можешь дать другим, потому что у тебя имеется излишнее.
    - Ясмин Могахед

-uhh, long one!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  3. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    If this sentence is meant to warn him about the danger of taking a mere attachment for the love, then it could be translated as:
    "Постарайся не путать привязанность с любовью".

4. VictoriaMason New Member

English
    Спасибо! :)

5. igusarov

igusarov Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    You can improve this translation by reducing the number of words "это". I doubt any native would use it for every "it" in the original sentence. "О том что" also sounds a bit clumsy. "Излишнее" is too formal to my taste.

6. Lotto74 Junior Member

Ekaterinburg city - Russia
    Russian - Russia
    I strongly agree with that. One of the most common mistakes beginner writers do is overuse of "это", "быть" and other trash words. The good style is to make the sentences as laconic as possible. It could be pretty difficult to understand for native English speakers because the English language does not allow to omit "it", "is/was/were", etc.

Source:

Corrected:

Note that "тебе", "другие" etc. are often omitted because they could be guessed in the context.

7. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    I find the use of the English word attachment very strange and peculiar in this text, contradicting the meaning given in dictionaries. It seems that the author has given the word her own, negative meaning.

8. zambala Senior Member

latvian
    Lotto74
    "неимущему" - по моему под имуществом обычно имеется ввиду материальное - реальное имущество;чего имеешь.
    А Опустошен - намного лучше, так как именно духовное качество имеется ввиду.

И в принципе...
    То же самое я бы сказал о Излишнее/ Избыток
    - "Любовь в избытке?" - на мой вкус тут всё таки "Излишняя любовь"

9. FreedomOfFire Junior Member

Russia (Moscow)
    Russian
    The word "излишняя" has negative meaning in almost all cases, "Излишняя любовь" means "Чрезмерная любовь",
    while "Любовь в избытке" is quite positive, so I think it is better to use "В Избытке" in the context of Yasmin Mogahed's quote.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. zambala Senior Member

latvian
    Не-а, я такого неусматриваю тут....

Я говорю как человек из религиозной, в основном Буддийской среды, по этому ассоциациая такая - Тут годaми и всю жизнь говорится о том, как "How to create, generate SURPLUS".
    SURPLUS

Это то слово которое я себе отлично представляю и перевожу, и оно - Излишнее, чем можешь делится. Если такого нет, то нечем делиться.

В Избытке я совсем ну ни как тут невижу, и черезмерное тоже so so.

...Также.....
    Избыток - тоже не очень то позитивное....
    Избыток веса - негатиф; Избыток чувств у меня на театре - поплакал и пошёл домой.....и.т.д.
    А на улице мне попросят: "Лишнюю сигарету":)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  11. FreedomOfFire Junior Member

Russia (Moscow)
    Russian
    Я согласен, что "лишнюю сигарету" могут попросить.
    А вот "излишнюю сигарету" вряд ли кто попросит :)