Trying to find a word based on faulty memory... "epipsekia"

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by doycave, Jun 10, 2014.

1. doycave New Member

My English professor is turning 80 this week, and I'm working on a short story about him. He is an interesting character to say the least and I have many fond memories of him.

At any rate, in class one day, a classmate and I were arguing about a character in a story. My classmate was reading into the text something that wasn't there, I thought, and my professor interrupted and said there is a Greek word, which he pronounced "e-pip-se-key-ah." He said my classmate identified with the character in a very special way, a way which this word defined.

I was in the New Testament Greek Lexicon (the most complete lexicon I own) this morning and couldn't find it there. I looked online to find it and couldn't.

Can someone help? Have you heard this word? Did I hear it wrong?
  2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Hi doycave and welcome!
    Could you explain a little more this "special way"? It refers to what exactly? How did your classmate indentify with the character of the story? I 'm trying to understand the meaning of the word.

Is it a biblical word? Is it an adjective, noun? I 'm also thinking the posibility of two words: preposition "επί" and something else.
  3. doycave New Member

It was almost like a soul mate. Like he had identified his very self with this character. That was the connotation.

It wasn't a biblical word per se. My background is New Testament Greek and that was the lexicon to which I had access. He was an English prof, so I was wondering, too, if it was applied in literary terms?

And thank you!
  4. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    "Soul" in Greek is "Ψυχή": "psukhḗ" ; /psiˈçi/ in IPA. I think I can discern this word in "epi-psekia". Perhaps the other word is the preposition "επί". Βut I can't tell anything more...
  5. ireney

ireney Modistra

Greek Greece
    Could he be referring to "epipsyche" coming from Shelley's poem "Epipsychidion"? Both made up but based in Greek.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  6. doycave New Member

That could very well be it! I hadn't considered the preposition. I'll dig further, but I REALLY appreciate the help!