1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

tu es très mignonne

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Audles, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Audles New Member

English - Scotland
    Hello all

A quick question on usage here, please. I've been going to markets in France, and my neighbouring stallholder has been very kind to me and very friendly. The other day, whilst picking apples in his orchards, he said that "tu es tres mignonne" and his grand-daughter has also said that she found me very 'mignonne". Now, on looking up usage, it would appear that "mignonne" means 'cute', but given that he is approaching 70 and I am in my 40's and that his grand-daughter has also given the same compliment, I can't believe that they mean cute. Can anyone clarify what the exact term in English might be to say what they wish to say.

Thanks for your help.

Bien cordialement

2. Pirwet

Pirwet Senior Member

French-Belgium
    You will mostly use "mignonne" for cute.
    Some will use it to say the person is very sweet, you could say "que tu es mignonne !"
    Don't know in what sense it was said to you though

3. Audles New Member

English - Scotland
    From Scottish-English, I would be most tempted to understand that I thought that he was saying that he thought that I was lovely - more a statement about me than my physical appearance. Would 'mignonne' also translate to this?

4. Lolofds Senior Member

Alpes
    French
    I agree with Pirwet. You can also say "Jolie" but here there is no difference between the two "mignonne".

5. Franck Bronte

Franck Bronte Senior Member

Paris
    French - France
    Hi,

Mignonne, in french, have a lot of sense.
    From your neighbour and his grand daughter, it probably means a mix of pretty, kind, adorable

6. Audles New Member

English - Scotland
    Thanks. Maybe this is a problem with English usage. To me, 'cute' is a very American-English expression, certainly one that I would never use in Scotland. It has a notion of teenage years and unexpressed sexualilty to it for me, and that is certainly not what I thought was being expressed to me. Any further thoughts?

7. Audles New Member

English - Scotland
    Thanks Franck Bronte - yes, the mix seems to make most sense to me.

8. Meiboombouwer Senior Member

Örebrolän, Sweden
    French - Belgium
    Yes, you are right Audles.
    Mignon(ne) = joli(e), 'cute' in English, if it refers to your (or something else) appearence.
    Mignon(ne) = gentil(le)/adorable, 'kind/sweet/lovely' if it refers to your personality/how you behave/something gentle you just said...

It's a nice compliment anyway.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  9. Lacuzon

Lacuzon Senior Member

France
    French - France
    Bonjour,

According to me, it meant kind, nice. Given that is was 70 he probably meant tu es gentille.

10. Souxie

Souxie Senior Member

South of France
    French - France
    I think lovely is not too far from it, depending on the context.