tu fais quoi de beau?

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by codivnat, Apr 18, 2008.

1. codivnat Junior Member

English
    Hi,

how would one respond to this?

thanks!

2. floise Senior Member

Quebec
    U.S.;English
    codivat,

This has been asked before. You can check 'de beau' using the 'search' function. Here's a good answer, given by Klodaway:

"qu'est-ce que tu fais de beau" is simply a colloquial expression, as a whole, you shouldn't seek a specific meaning for the word "beau" in it. In fact, it can be replaced by "bien" with the same meaning.

Basically, it just means "What are you doing?", simply with the additional suggestion that the "what" they are doing is something interesting, or fun, etc...

klod-

floise

3. lauvizh Junior Member

France
    English - english & french
    It just means "so what's up?", "what's new?", "what are you up to?"

4. anagram Senior Member

English-Ireland .Location: France IDF.
    So, you reply..

beh, rien - tu fais quoi toi?

5. codivnat Junior Member

English
    Thanks. I actually saw that and thought it was helpful for understanding what it means in general, but I couldn't figure out exactly what a response would be (in the way that "comment ca va", for example, has pretty specific responses). would i just say "rien"?

6. codivnat Junior Member

English
    Oh, I see. Thanks so much!

7. PauM New Member

French
    This question is a very openning question, it suggests you to speak about your life, and globaly what's changing recently in your life... You could answer "rien", but certainly your interlocutor would be disappointed. Answering "rien" could be understand as closing the discussion. So...

8. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH

"tu fais quoi de beau dimanche ?"
    "rien de particulier" :)