1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

tu me manques je voudrais etre avec toi.

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by melancolique, Jul 16, 2006.

1. melancolique

melancolique Senior Member

minnesota
    english;america
    j'ai recu ca d'un [<--grammaire?] ami parisien et...

just checking....

does this mean 'i miss you and i'd like to be with you'
    or
    'i miss you and i hope to be with you'

and does etre avec toi imply anything more than a visit?

2. unefemme1 Senior Member

English, New Zealand
    tu me manques je voudrais etre avec toi- I think it would translate to "I miss you I would like to be with you. So you were right.

I think I hope to be with you would be "J'espere etre avec toi"But I'm not certain. You'll have to as a fluent French speaker, sorry.

3. melancolique

minnesota
    english;america
    thanks a bunch for trying! I know it literally means that, but i was wondering if it meant anything else... like in english "i want to be with you" could be taken as a sort of "i want to be in a relationship with you" sort of thing, though that makes it sound really intense-- you know what i mean...:)

4. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    Very good ! :thumbsup: I only added the accents.

5. anangelaway

anangelaway Senior Member

Toulouse
    French
    No, it does not mean ''I want to be in a relationship with you.'' it only means I would like to be with you, seating next to you, seeing you, etc... because I miss you... for instance.

For I want to be with you, involving an eventual relationship, it would depend on the context.
    Example : 'J'aimerais sortir avec toi.'' (that's for the young people), so funny!

Edit : J'ai reçu ça d'un [<--grammaire?] :tick: ami parisien et... (correct)

6. melancolique

minnesota
    english;america
    merci beaucoup, anangelaway!! maintenant je comprend.

oh mon dieu, ma grammaire etait correct(e?)?!?! SHOCK.