Tulog pa ako

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by MarFish, Apr 1, 2013.

1. MarFish Senior Member

California
    English - American
    I was talking to my mom earlier about a friend of mine who left the dorm without saying bye. I tried saying "I was still asleep (when he left)" so I said "Natulog pa ako... nang umalis siya." She paused, then she corrected me with "Tulog pa ako... nang umalis siya!"

What was incorrect with what I said?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    Natulog pa ako nang umalis siya is incorrect because natulog is in the simple past tense. The idea your Tagalog text is conveying is that you were sleeping when your friend left. Two actions are involved: you were sleeping (an uncompleted act) and your friend left (a completed act). This sentence is best translated by using the past progressive tense:

Natutulog pa ako nang umalis siya. I was still sleeping when he left.

The alternative suggested to you, using the unconjugated root word tulog with accent on the last syllable also works:

Tulog pa ako ng umalis siya. I was still asleep (literally, I was still in a state of sleep) when he left.

You are probably being thrown off by the enclictic particle pa. In both Tagalog sentences above, pa is correctly used to amplify the imperfect (uncompleted) aspect of their respective verbs (pa as used above would best translate as the adverb still):

Natutulog (was sleeping - past progressive) / Natutulog pa (was still sleeping)
    Tulog (asleep) / Tulog pa (was still asleep)

On the other hand, in your sentence Natulog pa ako nang umalis siya, the enclictic particle pa now amplifies the perfected (completed) aspect of natulog but also implies another completed action. Pa in this case now best translates as the adverbs also or even:

I (also / even) slept when he left.

As you can see, your sentence implies that you lapsed into a state of unconsciousness only after your friend left. The enclictic particle pa (adverbs also or even) renders the sentence confusing because it implies that you did something else (completed another act) once your friend had left.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  3. MarFish Senior Member

California
    English - American
    That makes sense now! Thank you DotterKat!

4. latchiloya Junior Member

Filipino
    I know things has been answered by Dotterkat but still I find the argument in the context captivating that I can’t stop myself on responding to this. :p

Context: I [was] still asleepwhen he left
    Mother: Tulog pa ako... nang umalis siya!

Your loving mother actually gave you the word for word translation and it is correct. “Asleep” is the equivalent of the Filipino word “tulog” with the accentuation on the second syllable and both function as adjectives.

As Dotterkat said,
    This can be considered to be equivalent in most cases though we still have to be mindful that adjective sticks to its denotations, in contrast, verb is distinctive with its tenses and aspects.

That, if we consider what you proposed:

You: Natulog pa ako... nang umalis siya

You went on to sleep and he left. That you initiated the action during the time he left.

Whereas saying:

You: Natutulog pa ako... nang umalis siya
    you had been sleeping and he left.

You: Tulog pa ako... nang umalis siya
    you are asleep and he left.

Natulog is in simple past, not progressive, not perfect
    Natutulog is simple present, progressive, not perfect
    Note:
    Umalis is in simple past, not progressive, not perfect

This is an opinion in my standpoint that even in such case like your context using of verb inflections, it certainly changes the thought of the sentence to the extent that it may affect civility: statement affectted by these inflections of the verb as to its extent may worse cause you to sound less respectful/concerned.^^