Tunisian Arabic: عيشك thank you

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by MarcB, May 21, 2007.

1. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    This is used in Tunis. Does it just mean your life or is there some other meaning.

2. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    It depends on the context.It could be , as you've said, "your life"or "your loaf " as in the Yemeni dialect.

3. Beate Senior Member

German
    Hello,

I understand it the way that a long life should be granted to the one who did something for you like
    "May you be given a long life"

bye Beate

4. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Thanks Ayed and Beate. So it is the verb not the noun? The context is Thank you .

5. Beate Senior Member

German
    Hello Marc,

yes, I think so because people use it in the imperative form. You could also say for example "ayyishha" when for example a little girl helps washing the dishes. In this sense it means something like "God grant her a long life because she is so helpful".

bye Beate

6. Tajabone Senior Member

Paris
    French, Berber (Kabyle), Arabic (classical and dialectal)
    Initially, the expression is " Allah yi 3ayshek" (May God grant you a long life).
    The Maghreb area is full of such expressions which are reduced to one word like "saHit" or "saHa" (coming from Allah yi saHiik, i.e. May God give you good health).

7. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    we often say:
    ishti/'aashat"(May Allah grant you a long life) Or(May she live out her age/life).It touches upon this connotation.
    عشتي/عاشتfeminine
    عشت/عاشmasculine

8. MarcB Senior Member

US English

The one in blue is typical of Algeria, isn't it.

9. Tariq_Ibn_zyad Senior Member

Belgium
    French,arabic(moroccan,algerian)
    sa77it is know in Tunisia,don't know about sa77a,but I only heard it from Algerians.

@tajabone

-I would say it comes from "llah ya3tik ssa77a".
    Both mean "thank you" right? In Morocco it's never used to say thank you,but to reply to "bsa7tek", except for some people in my region in the east,but remember we speak an "Algerianised" Moroccan there.

Also don't you use "t3ish" in Algiers to say "please"?

10. Beate Senior Member

German
    Hello,

well, I know that in Tunisia you can say "sa77a" to someone who has just taken a shower or a bath.
    "Sa77itik" can be said as a reply to a sneeze.

These expressions are very frequent in Tunisia.

As for the "3ayyish". You can use expressions with "3ayyish" when talking to children. For example, when a little child is saying something nice you can say to it "3ayyish foumouk".

You can also use 3ayyish for a demand. You can say for example "3ayyish wuldi, 3atini maa' " (dear boy, give me some water)

bye Beate

11. Tajabone Senior Member

Paris
    French, Berber (Kabyle), Arabic (classical and dialectal)
    Marc and Tariq: both of you are right :)
    And indeed, Tariq, the correct expression, or at least the most obvious one is "llah ya3tik ssa77a".
    As for "t3ish", it is in fact used in Algeria but I think it has a gender-related use nowadays (women in Algiers tend to use it more than men)

12. barkley04

barkley04 Senior Member

tunisia
    arabic tunisia
    This phrase is commonly used in tunisia and it means the following " may god make you live longer."