Tunisian dialect: ma, alladhi, allati and alladhina

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by seta, Jan 24, 2013.

1. seta Senior Member

sicily
    italia italiano
    HELLO! I would like to know if illi in Tunisian dialect stands for MA (what), ALLADHI, ALLATI AND ALLADHINA.
    ILLI KLIT A3GABNI BARCHA
    AS-SHAB ILLI SALLAMTU 3ALAIHI HUA KHUYA
    Thank you for your help!

2. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    yeah and illi exists also in other Arabic dialects

3. seta Senior Member

sicily
    italia italiano
    But can I use illi for the plural alladhina as well?

4. Aloulu Senior Member

Tunisian Arabic
    Yes, u use it in Tunisian dialect for all. Just like in all of the other dialects actually, als Eastern Arabic dialects use "ili" instead of allati,alladhi,alladhina etc.
    Makes it alot easier.

5. seta Senior Member

sicily
    italia italiano
    I love Tunisian dialect every day more :p Thank you very much!

6. Aloulu Senior Member

Tunisian Arabic
    Actually its not that hard, just some typical Tunisian words that you have to know. But once you are mong Tunisians alot you cant miss those words. Words like behi (fine or good/tayyib), barsha (alot/katir), yesser (much), labes (kayf halek) and some more. Once you know them its quite an easy dialect to comprehend in my opinion.

7. seta Senior Member

sicily
    italia italiano
    I'm working as cultural mediator with Tunisian immigrants and it is not easy for me to understand them because I studied al-fusha at the University. But every day my comprehension improves thank to your help:)

8. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    normally these Tunisians should understand al fusha, good luck in your work

9. seta Senior Member

sicily
    italia italiano
    Many people understand al-fusha but when they speak they use the dialect :)

10. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Exactly; you almost never need to speak dialect, but you need to understand the dialect in the country you work with. Fortunately, this is much easier than trying to speak it :)

11. Aloulu Senior Member

Tunisian Arabic
    Yes dialect (any dialect) is quite different from fusha. Difficult Fusha rules are not applied in the spoken dialect.
    da2iman (always) become dima, ena lastou (iam not) becomes maa nish (manish), or houwa laysa (he is not) becomes maa housh (mahoush)..

also the conjugation is a little bit different, but most of it still related to fusha although not 100% similar.

the best way to get familiar with a dialect is just listening songs of it on youtube for example, or watch television.